PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] software better then wine

andrea000
March 11th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Would anyone know of a better software free or one i could buy that works better then wine???or if anyone has a better suggestions on how i can do this i would appreciate them.i am using ubuntu 8.04 dual boot with win xp pro and will be running Autocad 2009 and Itunes.

Thank you all so much
xoxo

seppl82
March 11th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Hey,

currently unfortunatly i don't have that big expirience with Cedega, but googling arround should ask your Question if Autocad is working with it.

See this wiki entry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedega

Kind Regards
/Seppl

dzark
March 11th, 2009, 10:20 AM
and if you're not using the iTunes store, have a look at amarok.. its in the repos :) has been doing a lot of the cool stuff for years thats only now finding its way into other programs

jacksaff
March 11th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Seeing as you have a windows license already, if you are sick of having to reboot to change OS you could try installing windows in a virtual machine and then installing autocad in that.

seppl82
March 11th, 2009, 11:04 AM
According Autocad.

See Here
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=86

binbash
March 11th, 2009, 11:06 AM
autocad 2009 will not run.I am using autocad 2009 with virtual machine (virtualbox, vmware etc)

skymera
March 11th, 2009, 11:06 AM
WINE. Is it.

Cedega = WINE
Crossover Office = WINE
Crossover Games = WINE
WINE = WINE

Have a fiddle about with the settings.

UbuntuNerd
March 11th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I like crossover better than wine check HERE (http://my.opera.com/ubuntunerd1/blog/show.dml/2855480) and HERE (http://my.opera.com/ubuntunerd1/blog/show.dml/2855482)

andrea000
March 11th, 2009, 09:56 PM
autocad 2009 will not run.I am using autocad 2009 with virtual machine (virtualbox, vmware etc)

Autocad 2009 will not run i do not understand?Are you saying it will not run with wine or with virtual machine.I have used wine for a few other programs and it didn't do so well but in all fairness i am not the best when it comes to linux.I am trying to go all linux i have had it with windows and all the virus stuff.I do need Autocad 2009 to work on it
as i sometimes bring work home.

Thanks
xoxo

andrea000
March 11th, 2009, 10:56 PM
and if you're not using the iTunes store, have a look at amarok.. its in the repos :) has been doing a lot of the cool stuff for years thats only now finding its way into other programs

I have amarok and songbird but with ipods you need apple's software to put music on them.Are there anyway to get around this?I also sometimes put
music on a mp3 player for my nephew but i can;t seem to do it with any of the linux software i have the mp3 player do not show up.

Thank you so much
xoxoxo

dusan.saiko
March 12th, 2009, 06:38 AM
sorry, but there is no better option, and for me all wine derivatives are for at least five years in the stage "it will work soon".
The only possibility is probably install virtual machine, there everything (ok, not everything, but 99%) will work.

If you do not want to reinstall windows into virtual machine, you can use raw disk feature of VirtualBox, which reads existing partition of the disk. There is a lot of topic about this here in forums.

andrea000
March 12th, 2009, 07:17 AM
sorry, but there is no better option, and for me all wine derivatives are for at least five years in the stage "it will work soon".
The only possibility is probably install virtual machine, there everything (ok, not everything, but 99%) will work.

If you do not want to reinstall windows into virtual machine, you can use raw disk feature of VirtualBox, which reads existing partition of the disk. There is a lot of topic about this here in forums.

Thank you i will probably install the virtual machine i am just so sick of the virus and spyware stuff i am getting from windows.Ubuntu gives me great proformance and i have never had
a problem that forums have not solved super quick.

Thank you so much
xoxoxo

And thank you to everyone on the forum i really appreciate all the help you have given me your all the best.
xoxoxo