PDA

View Full Version : Which webcam do you use?

WhiskyChris
March 11th, 2009, 04:41 AM
After switching to ubuntu it seems my webcam will not be able to function (it's a Genius Look 1320 V2 and I've seen lots of posts complaining of simliar Genius webcams not connecting, or being recognised as a mouse, but no solutions...). Before I head out to buy a replacement I wanted to ask:

Which webcam/make of webcam works well with ubuntu/linux and why did you choose the one you have?
(If of course you use a webcam!)

Alternatively to save money, has anyone managed to get a Genius webcam to work and can you point me in the right direction to replicate your results?!

Pinoy915
March 11th, 2009, 04:45 AM
It is not in the mega pixel range but I had an old camera. It is an Aiptek PocketCamX. Surprisingly, I just plugged it in and it worked right away.

cariboo
March 11th, 2009, 05:32 AM
I use a Logitech QuickCam Messenger, before Intrepid, I had to compile the drivers for it, but since then it is plug 'n play.

Jim

Dragonbite
March 11th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I have a Microsoft LifeCam I'm fighting with. Hardy could not use it in Cheese and it's inconsistent with aMSN.

Fedora could see it in Cheese and the IMs but it didn't work when my brother was trying to get access to view it and I don't know if it was me, my firewall, his MSN or Yahoo, or his Vista.:(

Intrepid can see it in Cheese, haven't tried aMSN yet though. With Cheese, it has been working the best so far because it has allowed me to adjust the resolution and this is something I haven't gotten with the other iterations.

I also tried installing Kopete for the IM/video integration and that hadn't worked at first but I didn't spend too much time looking into it and rebooting after installing sometimes actually helps.

jespdj
March 11th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I also have a Logitech QuickCam. Don't know which model - Logitech makes lot of different models. It works out-of-the-box on Ubuntu 8.04.

Before this one, I had a Microsoft VX-3000. It was impossible to get working properly with Ubuntu.

There's a French professor who makes webcam drivers for Linux which work with a lot of webcams. Have a look at his list of supported webcams: http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html

cmat
March 11th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I use a Logitech QuickCam Messenger, before Intrepid, I had to compile the drivers for it, but since then it is plug 'n play.

Jim

Same here. Decent camera, excellent support on ubuntu, a little dated.

Chilli Bob
March 11th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I have a no-name novelty camera in the shape of a penguin. The picture quality isn't great, but it worked out of the box, even in the days of Dapper Drake.

WhiskyChris
March 11th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Had a google around this evening and came across a couple of sites relating to webcams in ubuntu:

The main list of supported webcams.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsMultimediaWebCamerasLogit ech

and a comparison of a few recommended webcams from wize.com
http://wize.com/web-cameras/compare/t86166-ubuntu

I've made a note of a few and will have a look at what's on offer in the shops nearby.