View Full Version : [ubuntu] G4 Mini: Hearty Heron, Intrepid Ibex? Jaunty?

March 11th, 2009, 02:25 AM
I created a dual-boot OS X/H.Heron install last spring that worked fine.

Now I see that we're close to Jaunty, and I'd like to know whether I should go for the newer version, or stick with Hearty Heron?

My hardware is the same: 1.42Ghz G4 Mini with a 1-gig stick.

thank you!


March 11th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Is 8.04 doing what you want? It is a LTS, and will be supported until April, 2011. 8.10 and 9.04 will be regular releases, with 18 month support each (as will be 9.10, K Koala).

To me, it boils down to whether a stable system which it appears you have is more important than the newer apps, etc., found in the new releases, or are the newer apps more important than a stable system? Right now, I'm running 8.04 on my main production Cube, and 8.10 on my "testing" Cube. The only reason that I can see to upgrade my 8.04 to 9.04 is Open Office 3 which will be available, as I understand it, in 9.04, and the added compatibility with newer versions of MS Word that will come with it.

Long winded way to say the choice is yours, and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

March 11th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I upgraded my G4 Ibook to 8.10 a couple of months ago. At first it seemed a little buggy. Nothing in particular except a couple of games I like would not play. Then it just started working fine and now seems very stable. Should be ok to do an upgrade. Downloaded ppc 9.04 but the disk would't boot and I decided I didn't want to play around with it. When I see some results of running it on ppc equipment I guess I will upgrade. I have to say that 8.04 was great and there was no real reason to upgrade.

March 11th, 2009, 04:14 PM
thanks for that feedback, esp. the part about "no real reason TO upgade" from h heron.

my situation has changed since I set up hearty heron last spring..I since re-formatted that Mini and made it OS X-only, but I"m thinking about creating a dual-boot OSX/Ubuntu disc out of a 7200rpm FW drive I have, the primary benefit I hope to see is a bit more responsiveness from the faster drive.

So, my choice is not so much "which to upgrade to" but "which NOW to install"

Sounds like there's a good argument to go with Heron again, since it's LTS...