PDA

View Full Version : Updating clean install of Windows XP Pro?

Slacker20
March 10th, 2009, 10:54 PM
For starters, I'd post this in the Windows section of the forums if I could, but you can no longer post there so I figured this would be the next best place.

Ever since I've dual-booted my laptop with Ubuntu 8.10, I've only switched back to my Vista partition when I needed to scan or print something (my Lexmark P4350 doesn't work in Ubuntu), and when I did switch I hated Vista more and more (plus, my hard drive partitions were all weird and messed up and not set up how I wanted).

So, after finding an original 2002 Windows XP Professional CD laying around that had never been opened, I decided to back up everything onto my Hardy desktop's hard drive, reformat my laptop hard drive, set everything up how I wanted it (small XP partition, a tad larger Ubuntu partition, and an even larger data partition for both OS's to access music, pictures, movies, etc from), and install XP Pro.

NOW, after I already installed XP, I started finding online of all the problems involving the XP updates. I couldn't download or install updates, and then after trying a bunch of different things I can now download updates but still can't install them. After getting a couple error messages coming up saying that I have to have at least Service Pack 1 installed, it got me thinking... will I even be able to update this old of a version of XP? The Service Pack 1 is only available online if you look around for it, but it won't automatically install from Windows Update Manager (it I can't get it to install manually).

I need to be able to print papers for college and scan drawings (art major), so I just installed the Windows 7 beta over my XP partition until I find a solution for XP. With all the current problems with XP's inability to update, along with the fact that I installed from an original 2002 disc that did not include Service Pack 1 or 2, what can I do?

Thanks in advance,
~Slacker

Bölvağur
March 10th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I saw some review about tinyxp which was supposed to be the most exiting MS product ever (even though this is a modified version from third party). Was something like stripped down xp with service pack 3. I have no idea if it still exists or anything else about it other than already stated.

Slacker20
March 10th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I'd also like to play some games in XP, so I don't know if a "stripped down XP" would be able to run games. I'll look into it though, thanks for the info.

cariboo
March 11th, 2009, 01:13 AM
I was going to suggest Project Dakota, for offline updates. but I see the project has been suspended. I guess Microsoft killed another worhtwhile service.

Jim

Slacker20
March 11th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I looked into TinyXP, and it would pretty much do nothing that I'd need it for, unable to support printers, video cards, many network features, and a lot of stuff.

I even downloaded Dial-a-fix, but still couldn't download and install the updates in XP.

justsomedude
March 11th, 2009, 02:11 AM
I'd advise you to install Service Pack 3, it's available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=68c48dad-bc34-40be-8d85-6bb4f56f5110&displaylang=en

Download it from Ubuntu and install it offline. Do not access the web with a non Service Pack XP, it's like russian roulette. ;)

Then, do all the security updates for XP, check automatic security updates and you're good to go. Don't log in as admin, keep all your other software up to date as well, use Firefox with NoScript, be careful with e-mail attachments and web content, and you won't even need antivirus software. :)

Slacker20
March 11th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I'd advise you to install Service Pack 3, it's available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=68c48dad-bc34-40be-8d85-6bb4f56f5110&displaylang=en
ll
Download it from Ubuntu and install it offline. Do not access the web with a non Service Pack XP, it's like russian roulette. ;)

Then, do all the security updates for XP, check automatic security updates and you're good to go. Don't log in as admin, keep all your other software up to date as well, use Firefox with NoScript, be careful with e-mail attachments and web content, and you won't even need antivirus software. :)

That link is only for downloading "Overview of Windows XP Service Pack 3," but I had already downloaded Service Pack 3 from somewhere else. I think I had tried to install it manually but it said that I had to have at least Service Pack 1 installed, which I couldn't get to install after downloading either. I had downloaded it to use nLite and make a slipstream install CD, but then never went through all the trouble and tried to install manually instead.

Oh, I know. Not even 10 minutes after install my AVG popped up with malware, haha. I certainly don't miss all of that now that I primarily use Ubuntu.

wolfen69
March 11th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Here (http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/windows-xp-service-pack-3.html) is the standalone download of service pack 3.

Moop
March 11th, 2009, 03:22 AM
That link is only for downloading "Overview of Windows XP Service Pack 3," but I had already downloaded Service Pack 3 from somewhere else. I think I had tried to install it manually but it said that I had to have at least Service Pack 1 installed, which I couldn't get to install after downloading either. I had downloaded it to use nLite and make a slipstream install CD, but then never went through all the trouble and tried to install manually instead.

Oh, I know. Not even 10 minutes after install my AVG popped up with malware, haha. I certainly don't miss all of that now that I primarily use Ubuntu.

You would be better off making that slipstreamed installation cd and reinstalling. It's not that much trouble, is more secure and saves time in the long run.

Slacker20
March 11th, 2009, 03:25 AM
You would be better off making that slipstreamed installation cd and reinstalling. It's not that much trouble, is more secure and saves time in the long run.

Would it work without Service Pack 1 though? That's why I tried installing manually first

Also, I have another XP disc with SP2, but when I tried to do a repair install it said that my serial key I had already used to install XP in the first place was invalid. Would a slipstreamed disc, using the original 2002 disc I used to install, accept my serial key, or would it also say it is invalid?

bashveank
March 11th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Would it work without Service Pack 1 though? That's why I tried installing manually first

Also, I have another XP disc with SP2, but when I tried to do a repair install it said that my serial key I had already used to install XP in the first place was invalid. Would a slipstreamed disc, using the original 2002 disc I used to install, accept my serial key, or would it also say it is invalid?

Use the SP2 disk to create a slipstream but enter in the key for the 2002 disk during slipstream set up

Slacker20
March 11th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Use the SP2 disk to create a slipstream but enter in the key for the 2002 disk during slipstream set up

Why would that work if that serial didn't work for the actual SP2 disc? I'd imagine that if I made a slipstream disc, using the SP2 disc, and tried using my original serial key, I'd get the same "serial key invalid" response I got when I tried doing a repair install using that SP2 disc.

Slacker20
March 11th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Well I made a slipstream CD using my original 2002 disc and incorporated Service Pack 1, 2, and 3. Everything has installed fine, but there are still about 32 updates that downloaded but would not install. The OS seems much more stable than it did before, though.

Edit: correction, all updates just downloaded and installed without a problem. Everything is up-to-date and working flawlessly :D

bashveank
March 11th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Why would that work if that serial didn't work for the actual SP2 disc? I'd imagine that if I made a slipstream disc, using the SP2 disc, and tried using my original serial key, I'd get the same "serial key invalid" response I got when I tried doing a repair install using that SP2 disc.

I think I misread your post then. I thought that you had one key for the 2002 disk and another key for the SP2 disk that was hardcoded into the installer (like OEM disks).
Glad to see that you got it working though :D