PDA

View Full Version : Android iPod Touch

JebusWankel
March 10th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I was so excited when Android came out. Right now I think a lot of people are into the Pre because, I admit, the webOS is really sweet. Still, I think the Android model will win out in the end.

Unfortunately, I have Verizon, the only major carrier in the US that won't be selling an Android phone in the foreseeable future. This is so disappointing, because my current phone is two and a half years old and I hate all the phones Verizon offers. I was lucky enough to get one of the last phones they offered with out their crappy in-house firmware. I can't switch because I'm on a family plan, which is so much cheaper than the alternative.

What I really want is something like the iPod touch, but running Android. The iPod touch is so good now, the only other changes I would want would be a standard usb port and an sd card slot.

Why hasn't this product been made? It would be so much faster to bring out than a phone. The G1 is out but it looks like other android phones are just going to trickle out for the next year or so. And then LiMo will come out, which I am not crazy about. It's not very FOSS-friendly to say that, but I wish those resources would just go into Android. Having too many OS choices could actually hurt the mobile space. There's Android, iPhone, Windows Mobile, WebOS, Symbian (now open source), Blackberry, LiMo, and probably a few I'm forgetting.

A touch competitor would make for a great install base. I feel like every cool iPod touch/iPhone app that comes out is a hit against Android. It will make for hard to reverse momentum. I don't have to tell you guys that. We all know about the "world of software" that only runs on Windows.

What do you guys think?

Maheriano
March 10th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Blackberry is a fine operating system and it's open source. If you don't like it, download the RIM JDK and change it.

JebusWankel
March 10th, 2009, 11:29 PM
OK, that's kind of beside the point. How is the Blackberry OS open source? I've never heard this before and according to wikipedia it is not. All the google results for "blackberry os open source" seem to deny you're statement. I'm not a developer anyway. I really just want Last.fm over wifi on a mobile device with an open source os.

JebusWankel
March 11th, 2009, 02:21 AM
No one else thinks the iPod is impressive and thinks Android needs to compete?

Maheriano
March 11th, 2009, 05:26 AM
OK, that's kind of beside the point. How is the Blackberry OS open source? I've never heard this before and according to wikipedia it is not. All the google results for "blackberry os open source" seem to deny you're statement. I'm not a developer anyway. I really just want Last.fm over wifi on a mobile device with an open source os.

I don't know what the definition of open source is but if you download the RIM JDK, it has an emulator and all the J2ME code that it runs on. Open it, modify the code, check it on the emulator and if it works, upload it to your device. Bingo bango, works how you want it.

Dekkon
March 11th, 2009, 05:33 AM
No one else thinks the iPod is impressive and thinks Android needs to compete?

Me, actually, In my opinion Apple is surely the one who made portable media players popular, along with touch screens which is why we have alot of them competing today which is impressive to me.

Android is lacking in Multimedia and many other things.

smartboyathome
March 11th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Have you looked at the OpenMoko? I think it supports Verizon.

JebusWankel
March 11th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Android is currently lacking in multimedia, but it's going to have to compete in that realm eventually. Why wait?

Openmoko isn't planning a CDMA version. http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/CDMA

What's keeping someone like iRiver or Cowon or Samsung from making an Android powered iPod Touch competitor?

ThatGuy07
August 11th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I have the HTC touch/vogue/xv6900 on verizon running android. Really sweet phone, full touch screen, and Extreamly easy to load android onto. Its a windows mobile phone, you just put a few files on the sd card. run them and boom. full android system . def the best way to go. and vzw has the phone on sale for only 50$ with upgrade. google it, youll find its a sweet setup

amitabhishek
August 11th, 2009, 05:10 AM
^^^Intresting :)! You have some tutorial/resource on how you did this...?

That's right...but no 3G!

gletob
August 11th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Yes tutorial Please!

Excedio
August 11th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I was so excited when Android came out. Right now I think a lot of people are into the Pre because, I admit, the webOS is really sweet. Still, I think the Android model will win out in the end.

Unfortunately, I have Verizon, the only major carrier in the US that won't be selling an Android phone in the foreseeable future. This is so disappointing, because my current phone is two and a half years old and I hate all the phones Verizon offers. I was lucky enough to get one of the last phones they offered with out their crappy in-house firmware. I can't switch because I'm on a family plan, which is so much cheaper than the alternative.

What I really want is something like the iPod touch, but running Android. The iPod touch is so good now, the only other changes I would want would be a standard usb port and an sd card slot.

Why hasn't this product been made? It would be so much faster to bring out than a phone. The G1 is out but it looks like other android phones are just going to trickle out for the next year or so. And then LiMo will come out, which I am not crazy about. It's not very FOSS-friendly to say that, but I wish those resources would just go into Android. Having too many OS choices could actually hurt the mobile space. There's Android, iPhone, Windows Mobile, WebOS, Symbian (now open source), Blackberry, LiMo, and probably a few I'm forgetting.

A touch competitor would make for a great install base. I feel like every cool iPod touch/iPhone app that comes out is a hit against Android. It will make for hard to reverse momentum. I don't have to tell you guys that. We all know about the "world of software" that only runs on Windows.

What do you guys think?

I really don't want to start any rumors or anything like that...but... My cousin works at Verizon and it's my understanding, from him, that next year Verizon will have Android phones, and even an Apple phone..

Don't hold me to it as fact, just what he's telling me..

EDIT: A little something to backup what i'm saying. (http://phandroid.com/2009/05/28/verizon-android-phones-are-officially-coming/)
EDIT: A little more something. (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2009-04-26-apple-verizon-iphone_N.htm)

MikeTheC
August 11th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Unfortunately, I have Verizon, the only major carrier in the US that won't be selling an Android phone in the foreseeable future.

They're probably not the only one. I doubt Sprint will sell them, either.

Excedio
August 11th, 2009, 05:45 AM
They're probably not the only one. I doubt Sprint will sell them, either.

Take a look..

We don’t have any type of official timeframe, manufacturers, devices or any other details, today marks the first time Verizon Wireless has gone on record saying they WILL produce an Android Phone.

Samsung has already confirmed Android phones for Sprint and T-Mobile and now all we can do is wait.

http://androidandme.com/2009/04/news/sprint-android-phone-recap/

WayneD
August 23rd, 2009, 11:52 PM
For a really nice android-powered ipod-touch competitor, check out the Zii:

http://www.zii.com/

Looks like you could pre-order a 32GB version for $399 if you purchase their developers kit, but I didn't see a release date as I glanced around their web site.

hanzomon4
August 24th, 2009, 12:13 AM

That thing is dead

For a really nice android-powered ipod-touch competitor, check out the Zii:

http://www.zii.com/

Looks like you could pre-order a 32GB version for $399 if you purchase their developers kit, but I didn't see a release date as I glanced around their web site.

Sounds to good to be true... stemcell computing?

jalyst
October 10th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Does anyone know if porting efforts are still continuing?

If so where?
I'd like to see everything is at exactly and participate.

Still searching, if I find something I'll post back here!

Cheers

natester1
May 1st, 2010, 11:28 PM
Check this out, Like i pod touch with android

http://www.archos.com/products/imt/archos_5it/index.html?country=us&lang=en

andras artois
May 1st, 2010, 11:54 PM
Why have an mp3 player and a separate phone when you could just have a smart phone that has more features than the mp3 player and works as an mp3 player?

Shpongle
May 2nd, 2010, 12:33 AM
Why have an mp3 player and a separate phone when you could just have a smart phone that has more features than the mp3 player and works as an mp3 player?

which is why im considering getting the htc hero

Ocxic
May 2nd, 2010, 01:46 AM
you can install android onto the iphone if you jailbreak it (idroid is BETA)
http://linuxoniphone.blogspot.com/2010/04/ive-been-working-on-this-quietly-in.html

Note: Jailbreaking your phone does NOT void the warranty, and can be reversed by restoring your phone/ipod with itunes. (and in my experience pretty safe)

tica vun
May 2nd, 2010, 02:12 AM
Wait, what does your cell service provider have to do with your choice of cell phones? Don't they just sell you the sim card, which you can plug into any phone you like? That's how it works here.

Simian Man
May 2nd, 2010, 02:15 AM
Wait, what does your cell service provider have to do with your choice of cell phones? Don't they just sell you the sim card, which you can plug into any phone you like? That's how it works here.

That's how it works for most providers, but Verizon doesn't use sim cards.

Maheriano
May 3rd, 2010, 05:14 PM
which is why im considering getting the htc hero
I just got it, very nice phone.

aaaantoine
June 12th, 2010, 11:32 PM

Because a smartphone costs an extra $30-$40 / month to add a data plan to your cell phone account, whereas a non-cellular Android would not.

Ocxic
June 13th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Check your contract. It will most likely NOT require a data plan with a smart phone.
And don't let them tell you the phone won't work without one.

I went through the same thing with my blackberry.

llamabr
August 2nd, 2010, 04:31 PM
How close are we to having a working install of android for my ipod touch?