PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to install 6.07 on Armada M700 w/corrupted Win98

PamminAlong
March 10th, 2009, 09:28 PM
YES. I know that the system is old! I just want to use this laptop to get online at the local coffee house. The system was killed by viruses, so I thought I could load ubuntu and it would erase Win98 - and also the corruptions. However, I am unable to get past the prompt at the top left of the screen. It goes through the installation process (I think!), then goes back to a black screen with the prompt and won't let me type anything. It just sits there mocking me!!! Note: somehow I lost the install discs for Win98. Any suggestions? Thanks!
P~

Neo_The_User
March 10th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Make it un-corrupted. I can teach you how but it would erase every little peice of data on your hard drive. K?

Silent Warrior
March 10th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Pammin: I just have to ask: You do understand that installing Linux will mean reformatting during the process, right? (I just want to make sure. No insult intended.)

PamminAlong
March 10th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Oh Yes! That is exactly what I want to do. There is nothing on the hard drive that I need.

Neo_The_User
March 10th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Yes but a format can only erase so much data. I'll send you a private message after I get some info about your hard drive from you. A corrupted hard drive requires a bit of work. For those who say it doesn't, my experience says otherwise. I can't post the guide here so I'd have to do it via private message so I don't violate the rules because it is a dangerous command. And no, it isn't sudo -rm... yeah yeah you know the rest. It isn't that.

PamminAlong
March 10th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Oh you're funny! :-)

Neo_The_User
March 10th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Oh you're funny! :-)

OK Why do you have to make sarcastic remarks?

bertolo
March 10th, 2009, 11:24 PM
ROTFL. just put 8.10 CD in and format everything and let it flow... :D

Neo_The_User
March 10th, 2009, 11:26 PM
ROTFL. just put 8.10 CD in and format everything and let it flow... :D

I did that about 10 times with my corrupted hard drive. It installed all the way but after about a day, my comp would be all messed up.

Be sure you are logged in. It should say ubuntu@ubuntu-dekstop:~$ or something like that. be sure your booting off the livecd.