PDA

View Full Version : Returning after a brief vacation

michaelkahl
March 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I haven't posted on these forums in a while. I need to get back to reading and contributing. I have been busy with classes and work. We are in the process of overhauling our network, implementing VLANs, installing a new Core Switch, and I'm the one in charge of it all. I also just finished my Cisco CCNA certification a couple of weeks ago, so I had a lot of time wrapped up in preparation for that.
So whats changed in the last couple of months? A few things actually...don't be disappointed in me when I share the news. Just know that I'm diverse in my computer use, and try to stay current will all OS.
I recently started using a Mac Pro at work (old dual G5 system)and use a Mac at home. Until now it's been the one system I had no experience on. I was inspired to give it a shot by my iPhone that I recently purchased. This gave me iTunes, kept me off Windows.
I still use Ubuntu, just in a different way. It's my main OS on my netbook, actually my only OS. I am using the netbook flavor called Easy Peasy.
I want to learn some about the Mac OS so I can offer support to the students and staff I work with. We are seeing more and more with Macs, and I must say that I don't mind it a bit.
I use it at home mainly for my digital photography and artsy fartsy stuff.
I won't say I've turned away, this isn't a I'm leaving Linux/Ubuntu thread, it's a thread on where I'm at. I'll continue to use Ubuntu and other distributions simply because I want to maintain what I've learned and get further in Linux certifications.
Don't hate a Mac user.
The only Windows machine I currently have is a work laptop and I'm running 7 beta on it. Windows 7 is a vast improvement over Vista. The laptop only has 1GB of memory and feels better and quicker than XP Pro.
I'll be poking around, checking out what I missed and try to get back in the swing of things.