PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Python 3.x

glubbdrubb
March 10th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Yes, I read the FAQ, searched the site as well as I could in 5 minutes and was surprised to see that this has not been discussed. Of course, I stand to be corrected.

I tried to get into Python last year but circumstances prevented further development. Now I want to learn the latest and greatest it has to offer but cant. I would not dare remove python 2.5.2 from my system as it seems just about everything relies upon it.

I installed python 3.0 and stanley's python editor (I come from the land of delphy so I like that sort of environment) but was disappointed to see that spe did not use the latest version.typing python into the terminal brings up 2.5.2.

I realize that ver 3.x has been made quite incompatible with previous versions but I do want to learn the latest going forward.

Is there a way I can have both versions work?

When does ubuntu plan on updating to 3.0?

imdano
March 10th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Try typing 'python3.0' instead of just 'python'. Ubuntu has no plans to upgrade to 3.0, afaik. It's probably several years away from being widely used, because so much existing code will break with the switch. Plus a lot of widely used libraries haven't been ported yet. Ubuntu 9.04 will be updating to Python 2.6, though.