PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] pre-partitioned HDD - is this ok for ubuntu dual boot

PDave
March 10th, 2009, 08:41 PM
So last night I reinstalled XP on my machine, i gave xp 60 gb for the "C" drive, and 15 for the "D" drive. I was anticipating using the D drive for my ubuntu install. But from reading the various install guides online, it doesn't seem like this is an option - it looks like the only option is to try and resize the main drive. Is this true?
Also, what happens if my computer loses power during the install?

Neo_The_User
March 10th, 2009, 08:43 PM
No. It's not. D Drive is your CD-ROM drive. Change it. If it looses power during the install after it formats, you're good. If it looses power during install, you'll need to fix it.

PDave
March 10th, 2009, 08:49 PM
On my computer C: Partition 1 of HDD (60GB), D: Partition 2 of HDD(15GB), E: CD-ROM drive.

Are you saying that Ubuntu will think that "D" is the CD-rom drive?

kestrel1
March 10th, 2009, 08:49 PM
No. It's not. D Drive is your CD-ROM drive. Change it. If it looses power during the install after it formats, you're good. If it looses power during install, you'll need to fix it.
The D drive is not the CD Rom.
It sounds like it is a 15gb partition on the main hard drive or it is a seperate drive all together.
15gb will be fine for Ubuntu, it doesn't require a huge amuont, but you could resize your windows drive if you wish.
We don't use drive letters in the linux world, we tend to stick to partitions.

linuxisevolution
March 10th, 2009, 08:52 PM
On my computer C: Partition 1 of HDD (60GB), D: Partition 2 of HDD(15GB), E: CD-ROM drive.

No, the drive letter thing is SO 1970's. ubuntu uses names, like /dev/sda2.

During the Ubuntu install select manual and select your 15gb partition and format it. Then simply set it as ext3 filesystem and / as the mount point.

Neo_The_User
March 10th, 2009, 08:53 PM

Not anymore based on that. And in most cases, The D drive is usually the CD-ROM drive. In Ubuntu, CD-ROM drive is /dev/sr0 (actually /dev/scd0)

Elfy
March 10th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Did you leave the 15Gb unformatted? If so I think that oyu should be able to point the installer at that empty space - at whioch point it will create the necessary partitions - it will need 2 - one for the install and one for swap.

If not choose manual and create the 2 partitions in the empty space. If you need to hibernate then swap should equal RAM, if not then I usually do 512MB swap for 1Gb or greater RAM and 1.5xRAM for less than 1GB.

Also, what happens if my computer loses power during the install?You will need to start again. If the partitions have been created prior to a power fail then they should be there when you restart - in which case you would choose manual to work with your existing partitions.