PDA

View Full Version : Help with a flyer about Ubuntu/Linux

cdwillis
March 10th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Let me start with a little backstory here. My roommate went to have his taxes done at H&R Block a couple weeks ago. They tried to give him a disk with their tax software on it, but of course it was for Windows and Mac OS X. When he told them he was using Linux they had no idea what he was talking about and he tried to explain it to them (I don't think they understood anyway).

This got me thinking about how ignorant people are. No one can use something they don't know exists. I'm not trying to push Linux on people, but I would like people to know that there is an alternative that exists. I've decided to print out some flyers and hang them around town, but I'm still trying to come up with just a single page with good information about Linux. Any input from you guys is greatly appreciated. This is what I have so far:

Do you have a computer? If you do you are probably running a version of Microsoft Windows. Have you ever heard of the Linux operating system? Linux is a free operating system that can run on the latest computers or can be run on older outdated hardware. But if it's free then how good can this operating system be you may ask? As of November 2008, 439 (87.8%) of the top 500 internet servers use Linux. The NSA and NASA run Linux, as does the IBM's Roadrunner super computer which is currently the fastest computer on Earth.

Linux hardly has any viruses. And that's not like "Oh well, not very often, you know". That's like "If you've ever heard of a real Linux virus, please tell me". A Linux virus is not impossible to get, but Linux makes it very hard for this to happen, for several reasons.

Most people use Microsoft Windows, and pirates want to do as much damage (or control) as possible: therefore, they target Windows. But that's not the only reason; the Apache web server (a web server is a program located on a remote computer that sends web pages to your browser when you ask for them), which is open source software, has the biggest market share (against Microsoft's IIS server), but it still suffers from much fewer attacks/flaws than the Microsoft one.

Linux uses smart authorization management. In Windows you (and any program you install) usually have the right to do pretty much anything to the system. Viruses can just go around and delete or modify what they want in the system. Linux doesn't allow that. Every time a program requests to do something that has to do with the system, an administrator password is required.

More eyes make fewer security flaws. Linux is Open source software, which means that any programmer in the world can have a look at the code (the "recipe" of any program), and help out, or just tell other developers "Hey, what if blah blah, isn't this a security flaw?".

Linux doesn't need separate drivers. All the drivers are already included in the Linux kernel, the core of the system, and that comes with every single Linux installation. No need to go searching for the driver disk like you would for Windows.

Unlike Windows, Linux doesn't slow down the longer you use it. With Windows you have to defragment your drive because of poor disk management. Linux takes care of your hard drive more efficiently and you don't need to defragment it routinely just to run at the speed you had when you first installed.

Linux has many different flavors, also called distros or distributions. What this means is if you want a system specialized for music production or to run a media center there is a version out there for you. One of the most popular and user friendly distros is called Ubuntu.

Installing software is much simpler. Linux has what is called a "package manager" which takes care of everything installed on your system, but also every single piece of software your computer has. Each piece of software is contained in its own "package". If you need some new software, just open the package manager, type a few keywords, choose which software you want to install and press "Apply" or "OK". Or you can just browse existing software (that's a lot of choices!) in categories. If you want to keep everything up to date, it's as simple as pressing the Install Updates button.

It's free! Why pay for Windows (or bother to pirate a copy) if you can have a better operating system for nothing?

kellemes
March 10th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Don't think most people will be reading the hole story, and to be honest, I didn't ;-)
I think you better ask shipit (https://shipit.ubuntu.com/) to send you a hole bunch of livecd's and spread them around.
People will only learn Linux *may* be a fine alternative for Windows when they see it in action.

maybeway36
March 10th, 2009, 08:38 PM
That's good, but most people don't care enough about their computer to wade through it.
A good idea would be to target users with slow computers, i.e. people with a lot of Windows-specific junk running in the background.

Nepherte
March 10th, 2009, 08:43 PM
It contains too much text. Try to make it shorter as I wasn't eager to read the whole text when I started reading.

Make it less technical: no apache web server, no kernel, no "package manager". You can say it is easy to install software, just don't mention the how. You can tell them they don't have to search for drivers, just don't mention they're included in the kernel (though I think drivers is already too technical), etc...

Start with key words that characterize linux and explain them in a paragraph, repeating a key word.

Bölvaður
March 10th, 2009, 10:15 PM
If you want to make linux acceptable to people by spreading flyers... remove all text·

Only have the word Linux, 1 very happy person handing out a gift to another extremely happy person and a small image of our beloved penguin in one of the corners. Then add the word "accept" on the back of the flyer.

This should work as a positive subliminal message so in the future they hear Linux, they might see Linux in a positive way and be more accepting.

People dont read, they look at the pictures :D

tracey__
March 10th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I really like your idea, however I don't think many people are willing to experiment with their computers - there's so many tales about how computers are easily "broken". Just an idea that came to my head.

You could always try; I'd use less text, highlight keywords, use subheadings, and make sure they're bolded out! I think the main priority for people using computers nowadays is the performance and security - this is what I look for in an Operating System.

Tracey.

Nevon
March 10th, 2009, 10:49 PM
pirates want to do as much damage (or control) as possible:

I'm sorry, what?

cdwillis
March 10th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I'm sorry, what?
Nevon that is some junk I copied from whylinuxisbetter.net without really reading it. It sounds ridiculous.

I've revised the flyer, making it simpler and less technical. I didn't mention before that the flyer has an image of Tux in the top left corner to draw some attention. Here's the revised text:

Linux

Sick and tired of spyware and viruses?

Check out Ubuntu Linux!

Linux is free!

Linux is secure.

Linux is the backbone of the internet.

87.8% of the top 500 internet servers use Linux.

The NSA and NASA run Linux.

IBM's Roadrunner super computer (the fastest computer on Earth) runs Linux.

Don't worry about spyware and viruses. Linux is a secure operating system.

Don't worry about device drivers. All the drivers are already included when you install Linux.

Don't worry about a slow hard drive. Linux takes care of your hard drive more efficiently.

Software installation is easy with Linux's package manager.

Why pay for Windows when you can have a better more secure operating system for free?

You can download it at Ubuntu.com or they can even ship you a disk for free!

http://ubuntu.com

The first three lines are larger, bold, and sit next to the image of Tux.

maybeway36
March 11th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Mention how you can run it straight from CD without installing anything. That would be good to note.

cdwillis
March 11th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Thanks, I added a line about being able to run it from the disk for a test drive before you install it

avaralom
March 11th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Is this something that's going to be handed out to people, or is it going to be more like a poster? If it's the former, I think your text is good. Otherwise, I'd limit it to a few of the points, link them to a place for more information, because it would be too much to read if they are just passing through.

But I think something that may need to be said is a comparison of Windows to Linux. I'm not sure how many people understand the concept of an Operating System and that it's something that can actually be changed. Just something along the lines about how you have a choice in what powers your computer, it doesn't have to be Windows etc.

cdwillis
March 11th, 2009, 01:30 AM
The plan was to put this up around the university campus around town. I'm confident most young people know the term operating system, just not that there are alternatives.

Nevon
March 12th, 2009, 04:23 PM
If you're in university, I'd suggest finding someone who studying graphic design and have them make the poster for you. As a general rule, posters should include as little information as possible while still getting people's attention. It's supposed to act as a hook, of sorts. If it were me, I'd just write:

You don't have to use Windows
Learn about your options at Ubuntu.com