PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Preboot Problem on Toshiba

burrow
March 10th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I just installed ubuntu 8.04 a few days ago on my old Toshiba Satellite 1805-S204 to replace XP. Everything works well, but an annoying feature has remained. When I power on the laptop, a toshiba splash screen (all black except a red toshiba logo in the middle) comes up and stays for about 55 seconds. Something is also clicking pretty steadily (hard drive?). If I say "enable boot selection at startup" in BIOS, the same thing happens except there's a message at the bottom of the splash screen "press F12 to select boot device". I can press F12 all I want but it waits the full 55 seconds. Then it goes through the normal boot sequence and everything's fine. Is there any way to skip this useless and annoying step in turning on the computer? I wouldn't mind if it was only a 5 or 10 second splash to cover up some processes, but I don't think anything's happening. I did find an updated version of BIOS on Toshiba's website, but will this fix the problem? Is there a way to go in and tell it to skip that splash screen?

ACPI BIOS version 1.10, ubuntu 8.04. The entire 20 gb hard drive is ubuntu (no partition). Boot priority is HDD>CD-ROM>LAN>FDD. Thanks for any info.

warp99
March 10th, 2009, 08:48 PM
That's a hardware problem regardless of the OS installed. You should check with Toshiba and their guides to see if the problem is widespread. A BIOS update may help, but it may also wipe it out if the chip is failing.

burrow
March 10th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I will try updating BIOS to version 2.1. If that doesn't help I will call or email Toshiba. Please post any other ideas. Thanks