PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] should i update?

rhyz
March 10th, 2009, 05:12 PM
i installed ubuntu about 3 months ago and i installed all updates but i had lots of trouble and lots of things didnt work!

i reinstalled a month a ago and it has been working fine but i havent updated anything so should i update or should i wait for next ubuntu release?

i have limited download aswell

__Ryan__
March 10th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I would say that if you still have your install image from your last successful installation you can always go back and reinstall that if there are any issues.

Generally updating fixes more problems than it creates, especially if your original installation that had problems was on very new hardware that Linux might not have supported completely at the time.

If you are worried make sure that you only install the security and recommended updates. You can leave out the proposed and backports.

Then theres always the "if it isn't broken don't fix it" argument.

Good luck

uuc328
March 10th, 2009, 05:49 PM
i would leave it alone. my updates did not go well, loaded 8.10 yest and updated shortly after the install finished. got a "kernel panic - not syncing" and "ACPI: Aborted because crc error." message on both kernels. recovery mode also bombed out.

having said that, like a dummy i'll probably try the updates again here in a few. glutton for punishment i suppose...

Neo_The_User
March 10th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I'd upgrade to 9.04 if you do developing. 9.04 is the developer's dream. 8.10 for normal usage. 8.04 if you like out of date legacy stuff.

rhyz
March 10th, 2009, 09:36 PM
thanks i will stay unupdated :) i have a very old laptop like 7 years and when is 9.04 coming out what new. im not a developer well only web page but that it :) soo i dont also when i fresh install really fast but as soon as i install a few programmes it go so much slower. any ways :)