PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New to Ubuntu...need some help

Racnnut
March 10th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I had a catastophic failure on desktop and after all is said and done, I have wiped out all my operating system and I have no Windows bootup disks. So, that brings me to trying Ubuntu. My question is, right now the system recognizes no OS. If I put the Ubuntu CD that I created from a download, will it recognize it at startup or will I need to make some sort of startup disk before I can use the CD? I am borderline computer literate, but when it comes to doing anything with DOS, I become an idiot. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Neo_The_User
March 10th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Once you put the Ubuntu LiveCD in your computer after its burned and your BIOS settings are set to boot from CD then hard drive, it should install fine.

emad_ramlawi
March 10th, 2009, 04:43 PM
wow u really post toooo faaast

Neo_The_User
March 10th, 2009, 04:44 PM

Hahaha. Yesterday I made over 100 legit posts helping others. As soon as a new thread showed up, they other person would have an answer within 10 seconds.

bubwitmaingay
March 10th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Everybody's checking and are ready to help. Ubuntu it is. Have you installed it? 8)

Racnnut
March 10th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Once you put the Ubuntu LiveCD in your computer after its burned and your BIOS settings are set to boot from CD then hard drive, it should install fine.

Thanks for the quick, and I mean QUICK, reply...LOL I will give it a shot tonight!

Neo_The_User
March 10th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the quick, and I mean QUICK, reply...LOL I will give it a shot tonight!

No problem. Good luck.

phantom3113
March 10th, 2009, 05:04 PM
... but when it comes to doing anything with DOS, I become an idiot.

Good news! Ubuntu doesn't use DOS, so you should be alright. :P Of course, some may argue that the terminal is "similar" but it's quite easy to learn and use.

Racnnut
March 11th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Okay, I tried to upload the Ubuntu installation CD that I burned off a download and my computer doesn't seem to want to recognize it. It keeps flashing on the monitor that OS is missing. If I put a FixIt disk in the CD drive, it boots up just fine, but I can't really do anything with the FixIt disk. Any ideas?

Neo_The_User
March 11th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Verify the iso and do an md5 sum of the CD. Make sure the downloaded iso and the CD itself both have the same md5sum hash.

Terminal:

md5sum (iso image that you downloaded but dont put it in parenthesis)
md5sum (i dunno but its some like the above for a CD)

Sorry I didn't reply as quickly as last time.

Racnnut
March 11th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Neo...I missed your post before I re-submitted. I am still a little lost on this whole thing, but will give it a shot!

avtolle
March 11th, 2009, 12:58 AM
FWIW, it sounds like a bad burn (and yes, check the md5sum of the iso before burning). Be sure to burn the iso as an image, that is, do not burn it as a data file, nor just copy it. If you have another computer handy, please insert the cd you have burned and check it to see whether there are multiple files present thereon, or whether it shows just one large file. If the latter, you've not burned it as an image.

avtolle
March 11th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Take a look at http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso for some information if you have any questions. Good luck.

Racnnut
March 11th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Take a look at http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso for some information if you have any questions. Good luck.

It looks like I might have burned the CD wrong. I'm gonna go thru all the steps and see what happens. Thanks for everyones help!

Neo_The_User
March 11th, 2009, 01:43 AM
No problem mahn!

Racnnut
March 11th, 2009, 03:39 AM
SUCCESS!!!!! I got it up and running and seems to be accepting my computer just fine! Thanks again to all that replied and helped along the way!

Neo_The_User
March 11th, 2009, 03:42 AM
goodie.