PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Repeat keys too quick in 8.10 - bug?

Twig E. Pottox
March 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM
After upgrading to 8.10 the repeat key feature is ultra-sensitive. With normal typing (35 wpm) letters randomly repeat themselves. This is annoying to the point of me turning the feature off. However I would like the feature, features > preferences > Keyboard, to work, just not be so sensitive. The adjustment doesn't seem to have any affect on the speed or sensitivity. This has happened on three different systems. other than this little problem the upgrades went smooth and 8.10 is great. is there a quick fix for this

Neo_The_User
March 10th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Repeat keys?

Twig E. Pottox
March 11th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks for answering,
Yup go to system>preferences>keyboard>general and you will find a slider control for the rate and speed of repetition of characters when a key is held down i.e. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. my problem is that this isss ttoo sssseenssottivee and i must keep going back to correct things this has happened on all three systems i have upgraded to 8.10. It was not an issurue on 8.4. the slider sseems to do little or nothing the only way to fix this issue it is to turn repeat keys off and then you have to repeaaatedly pressss the key to go back and forth. I have onlly left in some of the mistakes so generated to prove a point. is this not the right forum for this questioon? I type reasonably fast and aam not dawdling on the keyboard..............

core 2 duo 7300, fresh install of 8.10 64bit (this particular machine)

Neo_The_User
March 11th, 2009, 12:14 AM
hahahaha! man thats funny!

Twig E. Pottox
March 11th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I'mmmmmmmm sseriooouss it isss aaa paiin and happeninggg on vaarious machines /keyboard etc. I don'tt maake this sstuff up

Neo_The_User
March 11th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Hmm. I dunno. It's hilarious though.

hotani
March 11th, 2009, 07:31 AM
yeah it's a bbbug. see [intrepid] keyboard Repeat Keys is failing to adjust (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-evdev/+bug/264196).

It's been around since the beginning of 8.10 and still not fixed. However there are workarounds in the bug link above.

Twig E. Pottox
March 11th, 2009, 10:39 PM
hotani
thanks for letting me know its a known bug and Im not crazy. I appreciate the links, cant get to it not enough time to cuss at the computer now but wanted to thank you for the info.