PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help on installing Ubuntu please

Trickyf
March 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I have a Dell laptop with Windows XP home SP2. It takes 10 mins to boot up and is slow. Everything I have tried to make it faster has failed. I am thinking of formatting the hard disk and installing Ubunto on it instead. However the pocket guide says nothing about removing Windows and replacing it with Ubunto. It says either to dual boot or to install within Windows. Surely if I do either it will be just as slow as ever? Can anyone offer advice on this? Thanks, Trickyf.

snowpine
March 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I have a Dell laptop with Windows XP home SP2. It takes 10 mins to boot up and is slow. Everything I have tried to make it faster has failed. I am thinking of formatting the hard disk and installing Ubunto on it instead. However the pocket guide says nothing about removing Windows and replacing it with Ubunto. It says either to dual boot or to install within Windows. Surely if I do either it will be just as slow as ever? Can anyone offer advice on this? Thanks, Trickyf.

Hi Trickyf,

When you're installing Ubuntu, and you get to the "partitioner" step, it will give you the option to use the entire disk (which will overwrite Windows).

I recommend testing Ubuntu first as a Live CD to make sure it is compatible with your hardware. Can you tell us about the specs of your laptop? If it is an older laptop, Ubuntu may or may not be a speed improvement over Windows, however, there are faster options like Xubuntu and Puppy if necessary.

wgarider
March 10th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Based on your post, you're indicating you want to replace XP with Ubuntu, right? If that's true, do you have a CD with a copy of Ubuntu that you've downloaded and burned?

wpshooter
March 10th, 2009, 01:43 PM
First make sure that your computer has the proper minimum hardware requirements to run whatever O/S it is that you want to run, be it windows or Ubuntu.

Then if you want to get rid of windows and try Ubuntu, then get www.killdisk.com and WIPE your computer completely clean and then attempt to install Ubuntu from the CD.

Trickyf
March 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM
First make sure that your computer has the proper minimum hardware requirements to run whatever O/S it is that you want to run, be it windows or Ubuntu.

Then if you want to get rid of windows and try Ubuntu, then get www.killdisk.com and WIPE your computer completely clean and then attempt to install Ubuntu from the CD.

Thanks very much!

vginov
March 10th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Here is a link to a video which guides you step by step to ubuntu Installation

http://www.vginov.com/linux/ubuntu/install/index.php

If you are looking for dual boting then take a look at this page

http://www.vginov.com/linux/fedora/Installing%20fedora%2010/index.php

Trickyf
March 10th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Hi Snowpine
Thanks for the advice. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1300, Pentium M Processor 735a (1.7GHz, 2MB L2 cache), 512MB RAM memory, 80GB hard drive. I think the current slow speed is because my girlfriend has over time (2.5yrs) not looked after it and I'd prefer to format the drive (or equivalent) and start again. Please advise on suitability of laptop for Ubuntu. Thanks, Tricky

snowpine
March 10th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Hi Snowpine
Thanks for the advice. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1300, Pentium M Processor 735a (1.7GHz, 2MB L2 cache), 512MB RAM memory, 80GB hard drive. I think the current slow speed is because my girlfriend has over time (2.5yrs) not looked after it and I'd prefer to format the drive (or equivalent) and start again. Please advise on suitability of laptop for Ubuntu. Thanks, Tricky

I think Ubuntu will run well on that hardware. :)

Keep in mind the Live CD will be slow compared to actually installing Ubuntu. But it is a good way to double-check compatibility. I have a couple of older Dell laptops, and they are Ubuntu-friendly. Good luck!

Trickyf
March 10th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Hi again Snowpine
Sorry but what is a Live CD and how do I create one?!
Second, someone has suggested using killdisk.com and wiping my disk clean. When I have tested the Live CD would this be better? Lastly, can I use Microsoft Office on Ubuntu?
Thanks, Tricky

snowpine
March 10th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Hi again Snowpine
Sorry but what is a Live CD and how do I create one?!
Second, someone has suggested using killdisk.com and wiping my disk clean. When I have tested the Live CD would this be better? Lastly, can I use Microsoft Office on Ubuntu?
Thanks, Tricky

A Live CD is the best way to install Ubuntu; instructions are here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download and here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

I've never personally used killdisk.

Ubuntu includes Openoffice, which is a free office suite compatible with MS Office.