PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing ubuntu unattended.

NaF
March 10th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Short question:
Is it possible to install Ubuntu with zero interaction?

Long question and explanation:

I have a weird issue, let's face that.

My BIOS (or whatever) isn't recognizing my gfxcard, so on power up i get the
"1 long, 2 short beeps: Display adapter problem (MDA, CGA)"-error.
](*,) - None the less, it boots into the Windows partition (which is just getting dreadfully slow and flat out broken). So I decided to try and dual boot this system, so the day-to-day work would be done on Ubuntu and if I wanted some random game that wasn't supported under Linux I could reboot into Windows. (Irrelevant if impossible tho).
Seeing I should install Windows first, I backuped up everything and put in the install-CD, and my screen wouldn't turn on (Before getting into windows it's just black and unresponsive).
The windows installer seemed to work fine (judging by the noise from the CD-rom drive). I could try and do everything blinded, which seemed kinda retarded when I wanted to partition it down into only using 40gig and leave the rest for Ubuntu. So my heart was broken.

Same story with the Ubuntu graphical installer. It wouldn't invoke my screen to turn on (by hitting [enter] a million times just after power on, to get into the live-cd environment), and that I surely couldn't do this blinded since it requires some mouse interaction also.

Is this a problem anyone could help me solve:(?

wpshooter
March 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I can help you real easily.

Get another video card (one that is compatible with the M/B) and put it in the machine and if the machine will then boot up to a WIN98 floppy diskette, then more likely than not your original video card is defective.

If that does not work let me know and I will give you some further advice.

NaF
March 10th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I can help you real easily.

Get another video card (one that is compatible with the M/B) and put it in the machine and if the machine will then boot up to a WIN98 floppy diskette, then more likely than not your original video card is defective.

If that does not work let me know and I will give you some further advice.

My videocard have been running flawlessly on this mobo for 2.5 years, and when I actually get into Windows it runs games such as Crysis with no problems whatsoever, so I don't actually think it's broken or incompatible. I wouldn't know how to put in a new videocard if a bought a cheap one anyways :oops:

EDIT:
This machine don't have a floppy drive either.

wpshooter
March 10th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I assure you that "something" is wrong or you would not be getting the beep codes. Have you tried simply taking the video card out of the slot and then reseating it in the slot. This is not exactly rocket science. If you have a screw driver and any mechanical know-how at all you should be able to do this. Make SURE that you ground yourself to remove any static electricity charge from yourself before touching any components. More likely than not, the most difficult part of this task might be figuring out how to get the computer case opened up.

NaF
March 10th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I assure you that "something" is wrong or you would not be getting the beep codes. Have you tried simply taking the video card out of the slot and then reseating it in the slot. This is not exactly rocket science. If you have a screw driver and any mechanical know-how at all you should be able to do this. Make SURE that you ground yourself to remove any static electricity charge from yourself before touching any components. More likely than not, the most difficult part of this task might be figuring out how to get the computer case opened up.

To be honest, I think the only thing that's wrong is my motherboard's complaining. Everything performs as it did the day I got the machine. I have a Kandalf case, so it's quite easy to get into it. My gfxcard is just attached so many places to so many different things that I would wrack it beyond repair if I tried lifting it off. But I don't want to "fix" my "broken" videocard, I just want to install Ubuntu without telling it what to do before gdm is invoked :(