PDA

View Full Version : Challenge

BillyRose
March 10th, 2009, 05:47 AM
I would like to challenge everyone to convert a single friend or coworker to use Ubuntu (any release, but 8.04 may be the best due to LTS) within the next 30 days.

Update: I didn't mean to imply shoving Ubuntu down someone's throat. My goal was to locate someone willing to check it out (not necessarily installed on their box). Just wanted to clear that up.

iver2435
July 6th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I accept!

I'm always on the lookout to introduce people to Ubuntu.

.Maleficus.
July 6th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I would like to challenge everyone to convert a single friend or coworker to use Ubuntu (any release, but 8.04 may be the best due to LTS) within the next 30 days.
I decline. I'll recommend Ubuntu if the shoe fits but I won't shove anything down anyone's throat.

iver2435
July 7th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I'm definitely NOT for shoving anything down anyone's throat either. I think that "getting them to use Ubuntu" could mean simply getting them set up with a dual-boot system, or maybe get it set up in a VM for them.

Totally converting people to a new OS, especially when they've been rooted in Windows for so long, doesn't happen in 30 days or less. It happens gradually and with lots of handholding until they're comfortable.

I'm confident that if the proper time is taken to show people the power and capabilities of Ubuntu (and of Linux in general), I think MOST people would be willing to give it a shot. There will ALWAYS be those who resist simply because they fear change, and no amount of preaching is going to change their minds.

So, with that being said, I propose that we all take BillyRose's challenge and seek out at least one person who you think could benefit from (or is at least curious about) using Ubuntu and try to get them to use it for at least 30 days.

cph05a
July 7th, 2009, 08:35 PM
There will ALWAYS be those who resist simply because they fear change, and no amount of preaching is going to change their minds.

I agree and I feel that it's important to know who these people are. I usually show people linux by letting them play with my laptop first and I don't even suggest putting it on their computer until they ask.

iver2435
July 8th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I once showed someone the Desktop Cube Compiz plugin on my laptop and they said "I didn't know Windows could do that!!"

I said, "It can't, this is Linux, a different, and in my opinion better, operating system"

They said, with a confused look on their face: "So this is the NEXT version of Windows??"

Those are the people you need to slowly back away from and try to show Linux to someone else. :lolflag:

dvestal
July 29th, 2009, 10:54 PM
"Those are the people you need to slowly back away from and try to show Linux to someone else."

If those are the people that you want to avoid; then you will be avoiding 99% of the Windows user base. Most people don't understand what an operating system is; nor do they know that there are actually choices in what they can use. In all honesty, they usually don't care even if they know that they have a choice. They simply want to have their computer do the things they want it to do. The first thing to do with this type of a person is simply inform them that there are choices and to be able to occasionally see that they can in fact do exactly what they want to do... as well as the $$ cost. Then when the time comes that they have to replace their computer they will remember that they have options.

That said, I am personally starting with my own kids. Also next spring/summer I am going to be starting a small group in Springfield for teaching and mentoring programming for students. Through that group I will be able to encourage the use and development of open source software for the students involved and their families.

I will provide more information on that on these forums as time goes on.

BillyRose
November 14th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Update: I now have my wife, my son, my step daughter, both step sons and several of my step daughters friends using it when over to visit. I've added 2 netbooks to the arsenal for them to use. They've come to understand the concepts of using a windowing system, so they simply understand now that things may appear a little different, but they accomplish the same tasks. My next hurdle is to tackle some command line stuff with my wife and the older ones.