PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Vista and Ubuntu program transfer

T3X
March 10th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I installed Ubuntu as a second boot option beside Vista, and I must admit I very new to this. It works, I can use it. My issue is I have no idea how to access any files I originally had on my Vista OS. If anyone can please help and (hopefully) give me a blow by blow on how to transfer my programs and files from vista to Ubuntu. At this point in time I'm afraid I may have to reinstall everything I have. Any help would be severely appreciated.:D

Mark Phelps
March 10th, 2009, 01:38 PM
You can't transfer your programs from Vista. Linux is not MS Windows.

As to the data, if you click Places, you should see your Vista partition in the list. Just double-click it to open a Nautilus panel pointing to that partition. You can then drag-and-drop your files into a companion Nautilus panel opened for your Ubuntu partition.

T3X
March 16th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I can officially reach my files after having a friend walk me through; however, now every time I load Ubuntu, I have to type
sudo mount /dev/sda2 home/myusername/Vistathe file I made Hoping this helps anyone wandering the forums out there.

SuperSonic4
March 16th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Does that really work? I always thought you needed to specify the filetype. Plus I prefer mounting in /media but that's personal preference. If you want it to mount each time you can add something like

/dev/sda2 /media/Vista ntfs-3g defaults 0 0 to your /etc/fstab

although there's bound to be a good reason why it isn't automounted