PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu locks up after login

bullenjc
March 10th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu. I previously had windows and my harddrive was getting clogged so I reformatted and then decided I wanted to try this OS. The first install went fine, I created a disk and booted off of that and used the whole hard drive for the install. That worked fine and as I was reading articles there were alot about how to partition it for efficiency. So I booted back off the disk and deleted my partition table. I then created a 10gb home drive and an 8mb swap drive and left the rest empty for windows. It installed fine but as soon as it booted up and I logged in the station froze. I rebooted again to the same effect. I then tried to boot back off the cd to reinstall because I assume that somewhere it corrupted. Now however, I can still partition but at 15% of install the station completely locks up and the processor kicks into overdrive and the dvd drive stops spinning. I don't have a clue what to do with it at this point, any suggestions?

bullenjc
March 10th, 2009, 05:05 AM
And there is never any error message it just locks up

Neo_The_User
March 10th, 2009, 05:07 AM
You installing this on a PS3? I see this a lot in Playstation 3 systems. 15% - 21% is the most common errors on a PS3.

bullenjc
March 10th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Sorry, I keep thinking of things to add. I did run the check on the disk and it came back clean. I haven't tried to make another one yet but will tomorrow morning.

Neo_The_User
March 10th, 2009, 05:08 AM
You can use the edit button to change your posts.

bullenjc
March 10th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I ran memtest86 off of the linux cd last night. about 15-20 minutes in it completely locks up which is not good because that means its a hardware issue and on a laptop that just finished its warranty thats not good. In anycase, I have two two mb sticks so I'm going to pull them out and test each one separately and hopefully that will be the issue. However I'm not feeling optimistic, I let it run memtest overnight and couldn't sleep so I went down to check it after about 2 hrs. it had locked up and the cpu was running at 110% and super hot. Has anyone else ever had memtest fail and if so were you able to fix it?

Neo_The_User
March 10th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Change your RAM.