PDA

View Full Version : Are you like me?

JECHO
March 10th, 2009, 03:27 AM
At home I use primarily ubuntu on all of my machines... ive got compiz running on them as well.

ANY time i use a machine with ******* on it and the desktop gets cluttered i try to roll the mouse wheel to switch work spaces haha

occasionally ill even press ctrl+super to get the water effect (when im bored) but it doesnt work because its WINDOWS

i guess im always craving ubuntu :D

Asterio
March 10th, 2009, 03:33 AM
I actually keep a good balance of Ubuntu and Windows, so I don't really fit your criteria.

CJ Master
March 10th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Too much fanboism != Healthy my friend... >.>

Although you're the first person I know that uses the water effect. :P

markusf21
March 10th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I have been using Ubuntu to for a good while now, and everytime I get stuck in front of a windows box I'm lost. I can get online and thats about it. It's kind of sad actually, I used to know alot about Windows (XP) but I am like a Windows newbie now. Makes you wonder. Is it harder to switch from Windows to Linux (Ubuntu), or From Linux to Windows?

Faolan84
March 10th, 2009, 03:40 AM
I've done CTRL+ATL+RIGHT / LEFT on Windows before only for it to fail. That's one feature Microsoft will never implement in Windows: virtual desktops. Until they do that they will always come in last in my book.

Grant A.
March 10th, 2009, 03:43 AM
I carry around a minimal distro on a USB stick with QEMU so that I can have Linux anywhere. :)

Bölvağur
March 10th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I've done CTRL+ATL+RIGHT / LEFT on Windows before only for it to fail. That's one feature Microsoft will never implement in Windows: virtual desktops. Until they do that they will always come in last in my book.

I dont do it anymore, I guess if you do it many times, you'll end up learning it doesnt work :P But the urge to switch workspaces is great.

This is not fanboism CJ Master, and it doesnt really have anything to do with health.... eating rotten grapes and drinking foul drinks may cause worse health.

Dekkon
March 10th, 2009, 04:01 AM

Yet, people always complain when they do "Copy" a feature, but then turn about and say they really need this feature from XYZ. Probably why they don't have that implemented, but I agree it should be a feature, but as I got two monitors, I found myself using this less.

Dragonbite
March 10th, 2009, 01:47 PM
At home I use primarily ubuntu on all of my machines... ive got compiz running on them as well.

ANY time i use a machine with ******* on it and the desktop gets cluttered i try to roll the mouse wheel to switch work spaces haha

occasionally ill even press ctrl+super to get the water effect (when im bored) but it doesnt work because its WINDOWS

i guess im always craving ubuntu :D

Yes, plus I use Cntrl + Alt + -> or Cntrl + Alt + <- to try and get to another virtual screen!

Haven't played with the water effect, how do you set it up?

Luckily I have dual-screens at work but I still wonder which I would prefer more....

Linuxratty
March 10th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I do duel boot with Wibndows,never go in there...I also have Windows on a lappy that I use rarely.
What's funny is when I'll start to do something,see I can't and remember:"Oh yeah,it's Windows!"

will1911a1
March 10th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I use XP at work so I probably still technically use Windows more than Linux in the course of a week. Subsequently I don't really try and use Linux commands on my work machine.

I do occasionally wish I could scroll windows that don't have focus though.

JECHO
March 10th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Yes, plus I use Cntrl + Alt + -> or Cntrl + Alt + <- to try and get to another virtual screen!

Haven't played with the water effect, how do you set it up?

Luckily I have dual-screens at work but I still wonder which I would prefer more....

all you do is enable it in ccsm! try it out, its awesome!

nothingspecial
March 10th, 2009, 08:05 PM
It`s the middle mouse button not pasting that annoys me.

Giant Speck
March 10th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Yet, people always complain when they do "Copy" a feature, but then turn about and say they really need this feature from XYZ.

Exactly.

It seems as though people are willing to jump at the chance to condemn Microsoft for implementing features that are similar to features of other operating systems as though they are stealing the feature. On the flip side, however, people will jump at the chance to praise any introduction of a Windows feature in Linux.

sanderella
March 10th, 2009, 09:17 PM
occasionally ill even press ctrl+super to get the water effect

Ctrl yes, but what/where is super on my laptop?

Thanks

Bölvağur
March 10th, 2009, 09:23 PM
occasionally ill even press ctrl+super to get the water effect

Ctrl yes, but what/where is super on my laptop?

Thanks

super key (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta_key) ← with a picture. Sometimes falsely called Windowskey.

Giant Speck
March 10th, 2009, 09:54 PM
super key (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta_key) ← with a picture. Sometimes falsely called Windowskey.

It isn't really false to call it a Windows Key (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_key) if it actually has the Windows logo on it. And besides, the Super Key, the Apple Key, the Windows Key, and sometimes the compose key are all types of meta keys.

Corfy
March 10th, 2009, 10:19 PM

It isn't implemented by default, but it is an optional "PowerToy" that Microsoft provides as a free download, at least for XP. I have it installed on my work computer. It is called, appropriately enough, "Virtual Desktop Manager"

I must say that if I had found it four years ago, I would have really been impressed with it, but now that I use Linux, I can honestly say it sucks. It gives you exactly four desktops to work with, no more, no less. And there is no way to move a program from one desktop to another. So while it is nice to be able to switch quickly to a blank desktop, there is no real way to organize it. And I have mine set so that the taskbar is supposed to hide programs from other desktops, but sometimes, they show up anyway on all the desktops.