PDA

View Full Version : Mac vs lap???

sonny
December 28th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Hi... I'm planning to buy a portable computer... but I haven't decided if I want to buy an ibook or a laptop... If i buy an ibook, the mac os won't stay much time installed cuz I like my Ubuntu (gnu/linux), and if I buy a laptop, the first thing I'm going to do is a full format, and installing kubuntu, windows won't see the light. So, I'm asking the community, wich one would be better, cuz mac will change to intel (next year or the year after). My mayor problem, is about compatibility in a mac, how is ubuntu behaving in an ibook? does the apps run nice and smooth as it would with an intel based computer? what about java and flash, does it have problems?? Is ubuntu exploiting all the capacity of the ppc?. I must say that I won't buy the newst and fanciest of the mac's, because I just can't afford it. Thank you for the support and answers that I know you will give me.

audax321
December 28th, 2005, 08:08 AM
I would recommend a pentium M laptop instead of an ibook only because of Apple's future switch. I don't know much about PPC... but I do know that i386 and higher is widely supported by Linux. Then again, I've heard good things about Apple's laptop build quality.

prizrak
December 28th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Apple makes good laptops that have very good battery life and slot loading optical drives are much better than the default PC ones (broke enough of them). However since money seems to be an issue with you, I'd suggest going for an x86 based (Pentium M is pretty nice) one. It will be cheaper and you will most likely get more for your money. One thing you should do is check the wiki for hardware compatibility so you can be sure Ubuntu will work with the laptop you are getting.

ciaran.mooney
December 28th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I second that. If you want an iBook stick with Mac OS X, ubuntu just doesnt have the functionality that Mac OS X does.

You'll be able to find a much better cheaper x86 laptop that will be much better when running Ubuntu, and you'll have much better compataiblity if you check it out before hand.

JimmyJazz
December 28th, 2005, 11:56 AM
I like macs but I believe you really get more for your money with an x86 laptop.
Lets face it when you buy a mac you are kinda paying for that little apple on the back.

sonny
December 28th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Thank you all for your opinions.... I'm going to check the compatibility issue with the lap's... although I heard that HP laptops now come fully supported for ubuntu... so if I buy a laptop... I think it'll be a HP... thanks.

mstlyevil
December 28th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Thank you all for your opinions.... I'm going to check the compatibility issue with the lap's... although I heard that HP laptops now come fully supported for ubuntu... so if I buy a laptop... I think it'll be a HP... thanks.

HP has lappys that do not come with Linux preinstalled but are certified to run it. You should call HP and find out which models are certified for Linux.

( The situation in europe may be different because HP is supposed to have lappys there with Ubuntu preinstalled. My comment was geared for US customers.)

equal
December 28th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Yeah you're definitely gonna save some cash buying an laptop over an iBook. A lot of the money you pay for a Mac is the OS, which is also true of an intel laptop. But depending on the stores in your area, there are often shops where you can buy a computer without base software, so you could save a bundle there.