PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation BusyBox Issue

bsouth19
March 10th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Hey everyone,
I have installed Ubuntu and a version of Mint Linux before on some of my boxes in the past but I recently received a donated old desktop and I wanted to turn it into a file server. It is a fairly basic box, 2.0GHz P4, only 512MB RAM (am going to upgrade to a gig as I cannot handle operating on a slow 512 setup) and a 20GB hard drive. As I said... very basic; but seemingly ideal for a server. I pop in the Ubuntu disc and boot from it, after a few minutes of the oscillating orange Ubuntu bar it enters into the BusyBox and starts running through scripts. It seemingly never finishes and just goes through many different lines some/most ending in "delayed, be patient" or "error" but keeps running through more commands. I give it some time, but it never seems to get to an install.

Why would this happen? It is not even installed yet, why cant I get into the Ubuntu install? Do I not meet the system requirements? I thought I've heard of people running Ubuntu off less than what I am attempting. What hardware could this relate to?

I appreciate any help at all... this is very bothersome, I cannot figure it out.

bsouth19
March 10th, 2009, 05:43 AM
so i realized that this was an issue related to the "Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block" error. however now that i have ubuntu installed i am having a new error. as I said, i have installed linux flavors in the past and have had no issues which is why i am dumbfounded as to how to fix them. i get to the login screen, after a slow startup, and once i login i just freeze at the orange screen. the cursor is present and movable but the background remains orange and i cannot enter the OS whatsoever

anyone? help? please?