PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KMenu edits don't stick and white screen at boot.

Warthaug
March 10th, 2009, 12:52 AM
After a few months of ubuntu I thought I'd try out kubuntu before settling on one verses the other. I am trying out Kubuntu 8.10 (AMD64bit) on my laptop - using the same computer I've been running ubuntu (various distros, both 32 and 64 bit) without issue. I am having two issues with kubuntu:

1) My first problem is with editing the programs menu. I can open up the menu editor and make all the changes I want, but changes in the menu itself - even after a logout or complete restart - don't stick (with a few exceptions).

I've tried re-arranging icon orders, adding dividers, etc, to no avail. Strangely, deleting or adding new items (subfolders or programs) works. Renaming things, on the other hand, does not work.

2) I occasionally get a "white screen of death" during boot. This usualy occurs after an update or new program install. I get the kubuntu loading menu (with the blue bar that crawls left->right), but when it finished the screen goes white. If I push the powerbutton the same screen as before (with the blue bar crawling right->left) usually apears, and a reboot starts things normally.

Anyone know what is going on?

Bryan