PDA

View Full Version : Livemocha and Ubuntu: not a good pair.

fedleo
March 10th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I need to learn Portoghese (Brazilian) due to my job in San Paolo.
I found Livemocha (www.livemocha.com) but I started immediately with issues... Frequent timeout, can't record audio, can't modify my profile and so on. I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 on my desktop with firefox 3.0.7 and Flash10 and Ubuntu 8.04 with firefox 3.0.5 and flash9 on my Dell Mini9. Surprisingly with my work notebook equipped with Windows XP all work just fine. Is there someone who can try and report if is a general issues or just a problem with my computers?

Thanks to all.

F.

Bölvağur
March 10th, 2009, 12:57 AM
1.Frequent timeout
2. can't record audio
3. can't modify my profile
4. and so on.

1. difficult to know

2. either you have mic set up incorrectly (flash doesnt grab it) or the site is using some strange way to get it (probably windows only)
When you see a flash video right click it and select settings and there find microphone. You may need to change your audio settings for this to work (select correct microphone to capture sounds)

3. whaaaat?!?
4. difficult to say

fedleo
March 10th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I can confirm timeouts on Ubuntu. Just fine on XP. (tested 5 minutes ago)
My mic is setup correctly. I can use it on skype and cheese. I double check settings on flash property, all ok.
Trust me, if i try to change my profile my connection go in time out!:( Tried also with dns provided by openDNS and @ work with another adsl provider. It's just the same... Unlucky me?

Bölvağur
March 10th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Unlucky me?

Nah it's probably just the website. You could ask the people that made the website why it doesnt work as expected.

fedleo
March 10th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Today is working just fine with both Win and Ubuntu. Problem solved for now.

Thanks.

F.