PDA

View Full Version : Quake Live -- gotten it to work?

earthpigg
March 10th, 2009, 12:43 AM
http://www.quakelive.com/

can you get it to work? if so, how?

romance depends on your answer!

Bölvağur
March 10th, 2009, 01:06 AM
when I log in: "Support for Mac & Linux, along with alternative browsers is under development."

on the forum:

... well I cannot find it now, but I found under development a post saying they are focusing on mac and linux ports at the moment to "rush" them out. I think (hope is really the word though) that it will be out in less than a month.

whoop
March 10th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Maybe it will work with Wine before a linux binary is released.

Mehall
March 10th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Maybe it will work with Wine before a linux binary is released.

You would need to be running Firefox/IE in wine too. Seems like a waste to me, especially since they're working on it.

IMHO, they woulda been better making it a Firefox addon.

Polygon
March 10th, 2009, 04:43 AM
or you can just wait a few months for them to get the native client working, its quake 3, technically the game already HAS a port, its not like they are rewriting it from scratch.

patience.

kavon89
March 10th, 2009, 05:15 AM
I've been keeping a watch on this game for the Linux client.

binbash
March 10th, 2009, 08:40 AM
It does not work with wine, i wasted 1 week for that : )

Johnsie
March 10th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Linux comes last? +1 for Windows.

This topic should be on the games forum though.

Polygon
March 11th, 2009, 12:13 AM
the game has not been released yet, its still in 'beta', so no OS has technically come last.

earthpigg
September 10th, 2009, 09:47 AM
this game runs fine on Linux now, btw :D

moster
September 10th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Time to KILL some windows users ;)

(1% of linux users are collateral damage)

:D

3rdalbum
September 10th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Time to KILL some windows users ;)

I opened up a can of whoop-*** last night on some :-) Must be the superior mouse tracking on Linux, because I'm usually a n00b.

moster
September 10th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I opened up a can of whoop-*** last night on some :-) Must be the superior mouse tracking on Linux, because I'm usually a n00b.

It suppose to find your opponents close to you by skill. I love to play it. I give up gaming long time ago, but every now and then I come back to play some FPS for a while.

earthpigg
September 10th, 2009, 07:45 PM
It suppose to find your opponents close to you by skill. I love to play it. I give up gaming long time ago, but every now and then I come back to play some FPS for a while.

im not a big FPS guy either, and fragfest-type FPS' are all pretty much the same... worth about 1 hour a month. but, by playing this one, i let a company making a proprietary closed-source game see that little browser ID that identifies me as a Linux user.

maybe it will put the notion that, "hey! maybe there is a market for Linux games!?!????" in one guys head at the company.

maybe not. but it can't hurt.

so, ill go ahead and make quake live my one hour/month of FPS gaming.

toupeiro
September 11th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Not only have I gotten it to work, but @ 1600x1050!

moster
September 11th, 2009, 08:12 AM
im not a big FPS guy either, and fragfest-type FPS' are all pretty much the same... worth about 1 hour a month. but, by playing this one, i let a company making a proprietary closed-source game see that little browser ID that identifies me as a Linux user.

maybe it will put the notion that, "hey! maybe there is a market for Linux games!?!????" in one guys head at the company.

maybe not. but it can't hurt.

so, ill go ahead and make quake live my one hour/month of FPS gaming.
I play for few days till I go tired of it and then leave it for few months till something again remind me of its existance.

Before I was playing open arena every time I fresh install Ubuntu. But somehow got tired of that old game :D

pwnst*r
September 11th, 2009, 08:47 AM

lol superior tracking. let me hop on windows and add me to Qlive :)

3rdalbum
September 11th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Not only have I gotten it to work, but @ 1600x1050!

1920x1080 here.

It's not so much "gotten it to work" as "it works" :-)

moster
September 11th, 2009, 03:38 PM
And what is mine at 1250x1080?
A shrimp?

I feel left out now.

bodyharvester
September 11th, 2009, 06:19 PM
1024x600 over here :p

moster
September 11th, 2009, 06:30 PM
1024x600 over here :p

Is that a fancy mobile phone? ;)

bodyharvester
September 11th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Is that a fancy mobile phone? ;)

Yeah! its got a qwerty and a flip screen and everything! Just like all the latest models :lolflag:

moster
September 11th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Yeah! its got a qwerty and a flip screen and everything! Just like all the latest models :lolflag:

well, since I have bigger screen then YOU, I will make fun of you.
Hope you see this whole post without scrolling ha-ha-ha

bodyharvester
September 11th, 2009, 07:46 PM
well, since I have bigger screen then YOU, I will make fun of you.
Hope you see this whole post without scrolling ha-ha-ha

beat my screen ;)

moster
September 11th, 2009, 10:27 PM
beat my screen ;)

haha, I can see that my post barely fit in. :)

Ok, I out of here... I will not wait you challenge me on quake live. I would not stand to be defeated by your little screen :D

moster
September 25th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Hey, I have problems with quake live. Every minute or so everything stops for few seconds. Connection problems. Anyone knows something about it?

noelvh
September 27th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Well I was playing it last night, and I like it. I got it to work on my laptop (not in full screen) yesterday. All I did was click on the play button and it downloaded and played. I think if I did not have compiz running it would play in full screen. I will try it.

I wish I could help more but it just worked.
System.
IBM T43 ATI 300 with 128ram Ubuntu 9.04

Noel

pwnst*r
September 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Hey, I have problems with quake live. Every minute or so everything stops for few seconds. Connection problems. Anyone knows something about it?

post on their technical forum. your registered QL name/pass is your QL forum name/pass.

moster
September 27th, 2009, 07:36 PM
post on their technical forum. your registered QL name/pass is your QL forum name/pass.

thanks... I already upgrade kernel, lol, did not think of that..

pwnst*r
September 27th, 2009, 07:37 PM
np - there's also the QL IRC channel. info in the stickies.

moster
September 27th, 2009, 09:00 PM
np - there's also the QL IRC channel. info in the stickies.

I have talked on IRC. They say that it happends from time to time.... Hey, who knows what would look my stats if everything was OK. I just may be invincible ;)

pwnst*r
September 27th, 2009, 09:12 PM
actually, no that doesn't happen from time to time. at least not on windows. did you post in the tech forum?

moster
September 27th, 2009, 09:17 PM
actually, no that doesn't happen from time to time. at least not on windows. did you post in the tech forum?

no, but I see one exactly as mine and no answer.

But, it is not linux fault. At least some guy told me on IRC who has linux client.

Bölvağur
September 27th, 2009, 11:34 PM
no, but I see one exactly as mine and no answer.

But, it is not linux fault. At least some guy told me on IRC who has linux client.

sounds like packageloss to me.
I had it in quake live until my isp fixed that problem and got a different problem instead... high ping.

You can activate the lagometer to see how good connection you are getting.

I think it is something like

cg_lagometer 1

toupeiro
September 27th, 2009, 11:57 PM
game works great for me.

pwnst*r
September 27th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I had it in quake live until my isp fixed that problem and got a different problem instead... high ping.

cg_lagometer 1

packet ;)

also, you might want to try doing a line quality test

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality

aktiwers
September 28th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Works great here too!

moster
September 28th, 2009, 09:17 AM

cg_lagometer 1
I try that but it show me really nothing I do not know before. That little screen go yellow and that is all. I do not play much online games so I do not compare it to another game. hm, I remember before Openarena but I think there were no problems..

packet ;)

uhh, they require to join in and it is mentioning $$. Not much but it is a hassle. I will try to find something similar free. Thanks for the tip. line quality... well, it make sense.

ErikEhlert
September 28th, 2009, 09:26 AM
You would need to be running Firefox/IE in wine too. Seems like a waste to me, especially since they're working on it.

IMHO, they woulda been better making it a Firefox addon.

Making what a firefox add-on? QL or Wine?

moster
September 28th, 2009, 11:23 AM
packet ;)

Update:
I did register but my IP is not pingable. I have do not have any firewall on router or linux but it is possible there is firewall direct on ISP, but I cannot disable that one.

ufff... probably my own ISP is screwing me...

madnessjack
September 28th, 2009, 11:46 AM
To the OP:

Yeah I can get it to run. I was surprised at that. On XP I can run Quake Live and Quake 3 fine over wifi nice and smooth but for whatever reason on the same PC under Jaunty it's just unusable. I'm talking less than 10 fps. I'm sure the networking and stuff is fine and it may just be a graphics issue.

I'm using Jaunty Studio with a RT kernel if that helps anyone for an insight.

EDIT: I'm using an Nvidia 5800 fx GeForce with a Compaq Presario PC, P4 cpu @ 2.4GHz and 1GB ram.

moster
September 28th, 2009, 12:29 PM
To the OP:

Yeah I can get it to run. I was surprised at that. On XP I can run Quake Live and Quake 3 fine over wifi nice and smooth but for whatever reason on the same PC under Jaunty it's just unusable. I'm talking less than 10 fps. I'm sure the networking and stuff is fine and it may just be a graphics issue.

I'm using Jaunty Studio with a RT kernel if that helps anyone for an insight.

You did not say what VGA and what drivers you have installed.

madnessjack
September 28th, 2009, 12:33 PM
My apologies - one of those mornings :-P

I'm using an Nvidia 5800 fx GeForce with a Compaq Presario PC, P4 cpu @ 2.4GHz and 1GB ram.

moster
September 28th, 2009, 12:44 PM
My apologies - one of those mornings :-P

I'm using an Nvidia 5800 fx GeForce with a Compaq Presario PC, P4 cpu @ 2.4GHz and 1GB ram.

If you have proprietary nvidia driver enabled you should have better FPS. Intel integrated reported around 30 FPS. Here is just about end of my knowledge :)

madnessjack
September 28th, 2009, 12:54 PM
It took a bit of patching but I did get the right drivers to load (173.x.x drivers) and they improved my visual performance greatly, just a shame about Quake!

It's okay though I wont loose sleep over it - I'll buy a decent PC one day :-)

Cheers

pwnst*r
September 28th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Update:
I did register but my IP is not pingable. I have do not have any firewall on router or linux but it is possible there is firewall direct on ISP, but I cannot disable that one.

ufff... probably my own ISP is screwing me...

ugh - they didn't use to charge anything, sorry. yeah sounds like your ISP is king of hosing you in that regard.

LeDechaine
September 28th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Well, I can't get it to work here. I'm stuck in an xpi installation loop.

It asks me to install the xpi file, I click to install it, it installs, I restart firefox as asked, and then...
It asks me to install the xpi file, I click to install it, it installs, I restart firefox as asked... you get the point.

Even when I ran firefox from command line I could not see anything wrong, no errors shown in terminal, seems like everything installed succesfully, but the Quake Live server just CAN'T see that I actually INSTALLED the file ("Version installed: None" or something like that). So I can't get to download the Quake Live game files.

I heard it may be a problem with NoScript, but even after disabling the plug-in, nothing worked.
Or that it maybe because I don't have libxxf86dga1, but libxxf86dga1 and libxxf86dga1-dev are installed on my system.

I then thought "maybe it's a permission thing?", and I ran firefox as root, went to the Quake Live website, and tried to install the xpi file. Guess what, it installs. And then it starts downloading the game files. But whoa, I won't play Quake Live as root!!

So well, if that's the problem, is there a way to change the xpi file permissions so that the file finally installs instead of "simulating" a perfect installation when in fact what it does is useless?

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention, i'm using firefox 3.0.13 (The default, already installed one in Ubuntu 9.04 32-bit).
And i've just verified, I don't know if it's *supposed* to be there, but Quake Live is *not* in "about: plugins".
And well, just verified out of curiosity, in "about: config", I see nothing about "quake" as a keyword.

moster
September 28th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Well, I can't get it to work here. I'm stuck in an xpi installation loop.

It asks me to install the xpi file, I click to install it, it installs, I restart firefox as asked, and then...
It asks me to install the xpi file, I click to install it, it installs, I restart firefox as asked... you get the point.

Even when I ran firefox from command line I could not see anything wrong, no errors shown in terminal, seems like everything installed succesfully, but the Quake Live server just CAN'T see that I actually INSTALLED the file ("Version installed: None" or something like that). So I can't get to download the Quake Live game files.

I heard it may be a problem with NoScript, but even after disabling the plug-in, nothing worked.
Or that it maybe because I don't have libxxf86dga1, but libxxf86dga1 and libxxf86dga1-dev are installed on my system.

I then thought "maybe it's a permission thing?", and I ran firefox as root, went to the Quake Live website, and tried to install the xpi file. Guess what, it installs. And then it starts downloading the game files. But whoa, I won't play Quake Live as root!!

So well, if that's the problem, is there a way to change the xpi file permissions so that the file finally installs instead of "simulating" a perfect installation when in fact what it does is useless?

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention, i'm using firefox 3.0.13 (The default, already installed one in Ubuntu 9.04 32-bit).
And i've just verified, I don't know if it's *supposed* to be there, but Quake Live is *not* in "about: plugins".
And well, just verified out of curiosity, in "about: config", I see nothing about "quake" as a keyword.
try to install newer firefox 3.5 by running in terminal

sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5
you will get nice blue icon of new firefox. Now get on that quake live site and when ask you to install you ALLOW in top one something like toolbar will appear. Maybe you can add quake live site as "trusted" or something but point is that you probably do not allow that plugin to install itself. Wish luck and post here is there is problem. And yeah, you need to disable noscrip on quake live site probably.

edit:
meni edit/security
there is check box "warn me when site install addons"
try to remove checkbox if there is no install. But it must, we all have same thing.

LeDechaine
September 29th, 2009, 08:55 AM
And what if I just don't want Shiretoko, which crashes everytime I put my mouse cursor on a tab?

And looks like installing from the mozilla website is "dangerous and not safe" as it cause "conflicts" between "Ubuntu Firefox 3.0" and "Mozilla Firefox 3.5" (whatever "Ubuntu Firefox" is...)

F*** it, installing from website, when the REAL Firefox 3.5 will break i'll fix it anyway.

blindbat1457
September 29th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Sweet I play quake live too!

LeDechaine
September 29th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Well, guess what, i'm with firefox 3.5.3 and i've got the same freaking problem.
By the way, it is mentioned in the site that Quake Live supports "Firefox 2.0+".

Is it a requirement to "chmod 777 /" to allow an xpi file to install? Godddamn...

Creating a new thread for this bug.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8024304#post8024304

moster
September 29th, 2009, 10:05 AM
And what if I just don't want Shiretoko, which crashes everytime I put my mouse cursor on a tab?

And looks like installing from the mozilla website is "dangerous and not safe" as it cause "conflicts" between "Ubuntu Firefox 3.0" and "Mozilla Firefox 3.5" (whatever "Ubuntu Firefox" is...)

F*** it, installing from website, when the REAL Firefox 3.5 will break i'll fix it anyway.

Well, huh, very sorry. Only explanation is that you have some plugins that interfere with quake live. Or maybe you not allow cookies or something like that. Probably is some stupid reason, in most cases it is from my experience.

Only other option that I see is that you install windows version of firefox in wine and run it from there.

LeDechaine
September 29th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Hehe no problem, haven't gotten it to work yet, but thanks for your help.

LeDechaine
September 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Well, the game contents are loading!

Looks like it had something to do with the fstab partition parameters set to "user", which meant noexec, which prevented the xpi file from doing something on my system!

If not, it's just a reboot that solved the problem.. But it sounds too "Windows" to be true. ;)

Thanks anyway!

pwnst*r
September 29th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Well, the game contents are loading!

Looks like it had something to do with the fstab partition parameters set to "user", which meant noexec, which prevented the xpi file from doing something on my system!

If not, it's just a reboot that solved the problem.. But it sounds too "Windows" to be true. ;)

Thanks anyway!

sweet!!!