PDA

View Full Version : Lcars Window Manager?

Mehall
March 9th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Well, I've been growing increasingly interested in the idea of having LCARS (the Gui from Star Trek: TNG, with minor variations in DS9, Voyager, and major differences in Nemesis) as a real OS.

I HAVE found a windows shell replacement under construction, which even has *some* voice command control, see here (www.lcarsx32), but it is built on VB.NET, and not been made portable to Mono, so it won't run in Wine and, even if it did, you could still only use other Wine apps inside it (granted, app integration isn't there yet, but it's due in the next version!)

I was just wondering if there were any other linux users interested in such an idea, preferably ones who can code a damn, given I cannot do anything other than testing, since I am useless :P

CJ Master
March 10th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Ahhh! You just struck my inner geek. I would LOVE that. :D ....Can't code much though. But I'd hapilly beta test. :P

Daisuke_Aramaki
March 10th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Well, I've been growing increasingly interested in the idea of having LCARS (the Gui from Star Trek: TNG, with minor variations in DS9, Voyager, and major differences in Nemesis) as a real OS.

I HAVE found a windows shell replacement under construction, which even has *some* voice command control, see here (www.lcarsx32), but it is built on VB.NET, and not been made portable to Mono, so it won't run in Wine and, even if it did, you could still only use other Wine apps inside it (granted, app integration isn't there yet, but it's due in the next version!)

I was just wondering if there were any other linux users interested in such an idea, preferably ones who can code a damn, given I cannot do anything other than testing, since I am useless :P

There are a couple of Lcars gtk themes available in gnome-look, but i guess you must be already aware of that. If not, go to gnome-look and get those themes. Just search for lcars in gnome-look. I guess, gdm themes, wallpapers, fonts, sound are all available. I have personally used the gtk themes for a while! Don't know about the rest of the stuff! Here is a screen to give you an idea. This is from the author's submission page in gnome-look.

http://f.imagehost.org/t/0237/42306-1.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0237/42306-1)

Mehall
March 10th, 2009, 12:50 AM
There are a couple of Lcars gtk themes available in gnome-look, but i guess you must be already aware of that. If not, go to gnome-look and get those themes. Just search for lcars in gnome-look. I guess, gdm themes, wallpapers, fonts, sound are all available. I have personally used the gtk themes for a while! Don't know about the rest of the stuff!

I am aware, and there's one or two for KDE too, and there's greasemonkey scripts to get google and Wikipedia looking like LCARS, but none of these really.... work well.

the project I linked to in the first post shows promise, but it's tied to Windows, and I really want LCARS Window Manager.

@CJ Master: same :D