March 9th, 2009, 10:35 PM
The family Ubuntu growing even bigger

Read this article by John C. Dvorak:

Dvorak Likes Linux

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2342703,00.asp

:KS

motang
March 10th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Wow...I mean wow, this is really cool IMO. Here is a guy who is pretty popular tech journalist that really likes Linux (Ubuntu to be particular) and is going to be using it heavily...awesome! He is even going to be building a net appliance (a small computer specifically for web browsing) that is going to be running Ubuntu 8.10 exclusively.

From the article (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2342703,00.asp):

You should also note that almost all of the newest hardware coming out has Linux support. The critical mass has been reached. Go download Ubuntu 8.10 and see for yourself what the fuss is about. You won't regret it.

bashveank
March 10th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Other notables that "like Linux" include Leo Laporte, Patrick Norton, Adam Curry, Kevin Rose, etc..

kavon89
March 10th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Great, just what we need, a keyboard radical supporting Linux at a time when we are under heavy scrutiny.

DownTown22
March 10th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Great, just what we need, a keyboard radical supporting Linux at a time when we are under heavy scrutiny.

Can you elaborate on that?

BGFG
March 10th, 2009, 01:34 AM
The tone of that article was really mellow for a Devorak column. Another satisfied customer ;)

Faolan84
March 10th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Dvorak makes me laugh. That's the only reason why I kept my subscription to PC Magazine until 2005. I dropped it because the entire magazine had slowly transformed form a decent tech mag to cover-to-cover advertisement. Secondly, it was too focused on Windows.

Simian Man
March 10th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Other notables that "like Linux" include Leo Laporte, Patrick Norton, Adam Curry, Kevin Rose, etc..

I've never heard of any of these people, or Dvorak. Is he the person who made the Dvorak keyboard?

gnomeuser
March 10th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I never really understood why people listen to John Dvorak, he is just loud.

John's carrier in unimportance and wrong predictions started long ago, e.g. in 1984 he had some interesting comments on the mouse (http://premiumblend.net/2009/01/13/flashback-to-feb-1984-john-c-dvorak-disses-that-new-fangled-device-the-computer-mouse/)

gnomeuser
March 10th, 2009, 01:44 AM

and Mythbuster Jamie Hyneman (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/upgrade/4243994.html?page=3)

damis648
March 10th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I've never heard of any of these people, or Dvorak. Is he the person who made the Dvorak keyboard?

http://tinyurl.com/c9n6o2

A little google goes a long way.:popcorn:

damis648
March 10th, 2009, 01:48 AM
and Mythbuster Jamie Hyneman (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/upgrade/4243994.html?page=3)

Mythbusters: greatest show on earth. Seriously. WATCH IT. :popcorn:

Simian Man
March 10th, 2009, 02:21 AM
http://tinyurl.com/c9n6o2

A little google goes a long way.:popcorn:

Dude I know what a Dvorak keyboard is. I just haven't heard of John Dvorak. He probably isn't the only one with that name. Jamie Hyneman is a way bigger name :).

Keyper7
March 10th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Oh, great.

The guy who in 1984 said

The nature of the personal computer is simply not fully understood by companies like Apple (or anyone else for that matter). Apple makes the arrogant assumption of thinking that it knows what you want and need. It, unfortunately, leaves the "why" out of the equation — as in "why would I want this?" The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a 'mouse'. There is no evidence that people want to use these things. I dont want one of these new fangled devices.

and in 2003, on an article about Windows XP, said

Once in a while the system will go into an idle mode, requiring from five minutes to half an hour to unwind. It's weird, and I almost always have to reboot. When I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, I see that the System Idle Process is hogging all the resources and chewing up 95 percent of the processor's cycles. Doing what? Doing nothing? Once in a while, after you've clicked all over the screen trying to get the system to do something other than idle, all your clicks suddenly ignite and the screen goes crazy with activity. This is not right.

is now saying good things about Linux?

Dvorak, other than being one of the most annoying ad-***** trolls in the Internet, is also a notorious anti-prophet: everything he says will fail succeeds and vice-versa.

Mark my words: the curse has been cast. Linux is doomed.

bashveank
March 10th, 2009, 04:03 AM

John C. Dvorak = An, at least 20 year, tech and wine journalist, known for making outlandish statements to drive traffic.

As for the others in my post:
Leo Laporte is a tech broadcaster with almost as long a career as Dvorak's, and the creator of the TWiT.TV network, basically a jack-of-all-trades in the tech industry.
Patrick Norton is a tech broadcaster, he doesn't have as long a career as Leo or Dvorak, but he's still pretty skilled, he's currently a co-host of two shows at revision3.com, a bit of a hardware-enthusiast.
Adam Curry is a broadcaster that knows how to use the web, he created one of the first successful podcasts and went on to create mevio.com.
Kevin Rose is the creator of Digg.com

kavon89
March 10th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Can you elaborate on that?

Ehh I guess it was a poor joke about the other Dvorak, the one who invented another keyboard layout to replace QWERTY. ;)

motang
March 10th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Ehh I guess it was a poor joke about the other Dvorak, the one who invented another keyboard layout to replace QWERTY. ;)
And from what I read the Devorak keyboard is suppose to be more efficient than the QWERTY but it never caught on. One day I want to dedicated a computer with Devorak keyboard on it and I shall rearrange all the key on the physical keyboard to go with it. :)

Firestem4
March 10th, 2009, 04:44 AM
And from what I read the Devorak keyboard is suppose to be more efficient than the QWERTY but it never caught on. One day I want to dedicated a computer with Devorak keyboard on it and I shall rearrange all the key on the physical keyboard to go with it. :)

You can rearrange the physical keyboard all you want. But make sure you change the Computers keyboard layout or wherever you put A will not be A....Well actually it is. because A is in the same location on QWERTY and Dvorak lol. But you get my point.

motang
March 10th, 2009, 04:48 AM
You can rearrange the physical keyboard all you want. But make sure you change the Computers keyboard layout or wherever you put A will not be A....Well actually it is. because A is in the same location on QWERTY and Dvorak lol. But you get my point.
Oh for sure, I will be installing ubuntu with Devorak style. From what I read it's built into modern OS, is it used somewhere in the world? Who knows.

Linuxratty
March 10th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I dropped it because the entire magazine had slowly transformed form a decent tech mag to cover-to-cover advertisement. Secondly, it was too focused on Windows.

Same for me...When the rag would arrive,I'd rip out all the ad pages before I read it...And the further I became spellbound by Linux,the more useless the rag became.

Faolan84
March 10th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Same for me...When the rag would arrive,I'd rip out all the ad pages before I read it...And the further I became spellbound by Linux,the more useless the rag became.

How much actual content was left after you finished gutting the fish so to speak? I couldn't imagine it would be more than ten or fifteen pages of real content.

On another side note I picked up Popular Mechanics for the first time in a couple years and was very disappointed. What I'd like to see is a real good tech and how-to magazine that doesn't focus on product advertisement. Heck, in a lot of these magazines you can't tell the difference between the ads and the articles sometimes.

Syrtis
March 11th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Pcmag.com has this article about Ubuntu, John Dvorak talks about how good Ubuntu is and how hardware support is getting. Just thought I would share this with everyone

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2342703,00.asp

bapoumba
March 11th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Threads merged.

Faolan84
March 12th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Isn't saying John Dvorak likes ubuntu about as good of a promotion as Britney Spears doing a commercial for parental responsibility. I mean, Dvorak is more infamous than anything else--he even dissed the mouse calling it a "new fangled device"

Other wrong predictions include:
- Apple will open-source OSX
- Apple will switch to Windows
- The iPod lost its FireWire connector because the PC world was the new target audience.
- the iPod was designed to get people to move to the Mac, this didn't happen.

Dvorak is a clown that writes articles just so people will pay attention to him. Secondly he's a total w* for Apple. I don' t think an endorsement from someone like him would do good for Linux because even a lot of his "fans" think he is nuts because that is the character around him he has created -- or maybe he is really like that in person.