PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Install hanging at configuring apt

Eyore15
March 9th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I have some HP e-series machines. They come to me with 256K of RAM. I tried to install Ubuntu, but the install just stopped. I bumped the RAM to 512K and the install goes through all the steps, until it gets to "configuring apt". The on-screen monitor says that the install is 82%. It's been this way for over four hours. This is the second time I've tried to install on this machine, and I always get to the same point, and then it just sits there. This is the third machine that has done this. I have a number of computers waiting for Ubuntu. One of the ways I sold this was on its ease of installation and maintenance. This delay in producing a working machine is not going over well. The disk is from Cannonical -- it checks out OK. I've used it at home without any problem. The home machine is also an HP -- albeit a different series. This is driving me nuts. Does anyone have any idea of how to fix this problem of install stopping at 82%?

tnx

mark miller

cariboo
March 9th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Have you tried installing with the network cable disconnected?

Jim

Neo_The_User
March 9th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Another thing you can do is hit Control Alt F1 - F6 (F7 to go back to GUI) and see the verbose and see whats hanging and causing it to break at 82% or whatever. Keep in mind you must switch ttys before it reaches 82% other wise you'll have to start all over again.