PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New build are mobo drivers needed with new board

backtothefuture
March 9th, 2009, 07:23 PM
When i build a new system after checking the BIOS setup to see if all devices are found, if Ubuntu (latest version) is loaded and installed do i need to run the cd that comes with the new motherboard to install the motherboard device drivers or does this only apply to Windows. Does Linux Ubuntu install all the necessary drivers for the Mobo?
Not sure which Mobo i will be buying yet but trying to be proactive with the build.

Neo_The_User
March 9th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I love your avatar. And Ubuntu probes all your hardware via kernel. The CD shouldn't be necessary for the mobo. ;)

wpshooter
March 9th, 2009, 07:27 PM
You will not need to or be able to use the windows based drivers on the CD with your Ubunut O/S. "Most" of the drivers needed will be installed by/during the O/S installation. There "may" "might" be instances where you need Linux drivers other than those that are installed by the O/S but I recommend that you see what you have after you install the O/S and only attempt to install other drivers if you see some type of problem.

Neo_The_User
March 9th, 2009, 07:28 PM
You will not need to or be able to use the windows based drivers on the CD with your Ubunut O/S. "Most" of the drivers needed will be installed by/during the O/S installation. There "may" "might" be instances where you need Linux drivers other than those that are installed by the O/S but I recommend that you see what you have after you install the O/S and only attempt to install other drivers if you see some type of problem.

What he said is a better explanation.

backtothefuture
March 9th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks all since i am new to Linux Ubuntu still trying to figure out the Ins and outs of the OS.
I there any place that i might visit to advise me on Mobo and processor purchases that Ubuntu supports?
I have the latest version of ibex on a laptop and will be building a system in the near future but want to be Linux friendly in my hardware purchases.
Thanks again for the info.
:KS

Neo_The_User
March 9th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Yes. Check out the official Ubuntu supported and not supported hardware list.

Supported: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=361236

Not supported: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=361237

One more thing, stay away from Intel and nVIDIA.

backtothefuture
March 9th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks NEO will do some more homework and try to come up with workable results.

Neo_The_User
March 9th, 2009, 08:01 PM
heh. have fun.