PDA

View Full Version : Linux Mint?

chubble10
March 9th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Does anyone know if Linux Mint is any good?:-s
It sounds like they have taken Ubuntu & added some extra stuff.

chubble10
March 9th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Linux Mint is nothing but ubuntu with some multimedia codecs, MP3, DVD support etc.. And ofc a minty theme... :)

I'm sure the mint website said there was more differance.

chubble10
March 9th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Proof (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.phpf=90&t=22807) that Mint is slightly differant!

swoll1980
March 9th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Mint has some useful tools for newer users as well. It just makes Ubuntu even easier for beginers.

ArtF10
March 9th, 2009, 07:32 PM
When choosing between Ubuntu and Linux Mint, you should ignore the look and go with the one that responds better to your hardware. In Mint, there MAY be tweaks to the software that could optimize/improve its performance relative to what it would "do" in Ubuntu.

binbash
March 9th, 2009, 07:33 PM
It has better artwork and some useful tools but upgrading between distros is a little harder or sometimes impossible than ubuntu

ErwinC
March 10th, 2009, 12:00 PM
The update-feature is better. Doesn't do auto-updates of the kernel and x-server, witch may cause problems.

Linuxratty
March 10th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Yeah,it's good...I gave it to a friend a few months ago who had never used Linux,she fell in love with it.

billgoldberg
March 10th, 2009, 03:40 PM
The update-feature is better. Doesn't do auto-updates of the kernel and x-server, witch may cause problems.

But don't updating them might leave you vulnerable to whatever they fixed.

Twitch6000
March 10th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Linux Mint is nothing but ubuntu with some multimedia codecs, MP3, DVD support etc.. And ofc a minty theme... :)

Okay I am tired of hearing this and seeing when you joined I am just going to state where and how Mint is different from Ubuntu.

1. Codecs installed by default.

2. Alot more GUI tools installed by default.

3. Home mad Mint tools that help new users alot... (I like the Mint Menu personally)

4. Unlike Ubuntu devs... Linux Mint devs care to listen to what the community has to say.

5. Oh and it makes almost anything simple by having a simple method installed and setup.For example envy

There is some more too,but I just woke up and can't think...

I can say though if you wanna get real picky...

Ubuntu is just Debain with updated packages and a few addons ...

chubble10
March 15th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Have tried Mint with a liveCD and, personally i prefer ubuntu. Don't like the menu in mint!

Dawei87
March 18th, 2009, 03:29 AM
the best feature i found in mint is that it has ndiswrapper and ndisgtk already installed and setup on the computer. they also have a folder with all the drivers you could need for a wireless adapter. when i install ubuntu intrepid or earlier, my wireless doesnt work right off the bat and i have to find a direct connection to get my wireless up. its not a huge deal, but for me it is a pain to directly connect, so i liked having everything i need for my hardware right there waiting for me. it took a couple seconds to set up and i didnt need to move from my chair.

suitedaces
March 18th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Stupid question, if one was to install Mint, would they be able to follow the same troubleshooting advice and fixes that are found on here?

CrazyArcher
March 18th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Stupid question, if one was to install Mint, would they be able to follow the same trubleshooting advice and fixes that are found on here?

Yeah, the internals are almost completely the same as Ubuntu, so anything working for Ubuntu should work for Mint too.

Personally, I love Mint. The additions aside, I found some Ubuntu bugs not present in Mint.

gn2
March 18th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Have tried Mint with a liveCD and, personally i prefer ubuntu. Don't like the menu in mint!

You can remove that and use the same menu that Ubuntu has.

gn2
March 18th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Stupid question, if one was to install Mint, would they be able to follow the same trubleshooting advice and fixes that are found on here?

Stupid answer: Yes and no.

But mostly yes.

Sealbhach
March 18th, 2009, 02:48 PM

One big difference I found in Mint is add new software, or even finding new software. The repos in Mint seem to be really small and limited. I much prefer Add/Remove in Ubuntu.

khelben1979
March 18th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Ubuntu is just Debain with updated packages and a few addons ...

Ubuntu is always based on the unstable version of Debian. So for anyone which have had or have bad experiences with Ubuntu, this gives a explaination to why.

Debian is the original, but may not be attractive to inpatient users who want the cutting edge since Debian unstable is simply not to recommend for hassle free operation.

I've listened to the Linux Mint podcast a while back and it seems pretty good. :)

CraigPaleo
March 18th, 2009, 02:59 PM
If one just wanted Ubuntu with the codecs and extra tools out of the box, wouldn't Super Ubuntu (http://hacktolive.org/wiki/Super_Ubuntu) be better?

gn2
March 18th, 2009, 03:02 PM
The repos in Mint seem to be really small and limited.

Strange, I thought they used the Ubuntu repositories...?

ELD
March 18th, 2009, 03:02 PM

Since when did it auto-update ever? As far as i am aware it will only update if there is one available and i let it download and update via the update manager.

richg
March 18th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I have been using Mint 6 for about a month on a desktop. I like it better than Ubuntu 8.04 which I was using. I also installed Mint on a wireless laptop with no issues. Mint can play a DVD movie right out of the box. Not so with Ubuntu 8.04 or 8.10. Never could get those two to play a DVD.

One issue a few people have had is the Update feature stops and freezes after a while. I had to re-install the OS to get around that issue. Never found a work around. Support is not near as good as Ubuntu though. That might be important to some people.

Ubuntu forums are very good for response.

I like the green background much better than the "Brown" background of Ubuntu.

Rich

mikewhatever
March 18th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Proof (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.phpf=90&t=22807) that Mint is slightly differant!

Great proof indeed.

The requested URL /viewtopic.phpf=90&t=22807 was not found on this server.

Calmatory
March 18th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Great proof indeed.
Add ? after the .php

Fixed link (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=22807)

Twitch6000
March 18th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Strange, I thought they used the Ubuntu repositories...?

Well they do for security updates.

However they have their own repos aswell.

Note they also have a version made by the community based on Debian unstable that is not to shabby :).

Whorehay
March 18th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Stupid question, if one was to install Mint, would they be able to follow the same troubleshooting advice and fixes that are found on here?

A: Yes.

He who asks a question looks stupid for 5 minutes, but the one who doesn't ask remains stupid forever.

Twitch6000
March 18th, 2009, 07:10 PM
A: Yes.

He who asks a question looks stupid for 5 minutes, but the one who doesn't ask remains stupid forever.

I so agree with this one.

suitedaces
March 18th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks. I'm happy with my tweaked ubuntu install, but it's just for future reference.

kaixi
March 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Briefly, Linux Mint 6 = Ubuntu + sudo aptitude install ubuntu-restricted-extras ndisgtk gnome-do gparted + green theme + mint Tools (a couple of useful but not really important tools)

Mint vs Ubuntu
Pros:
- Everything should work out of the box.
- Very easy to use for beginners who come from Windows.

Cons:
- Distro upgrades are known to be problematic. In fact, mint team recommends clean reinstallation instead.
- It's somewhat slower and consumes more resources than Ubuntu.
- Adding apps from mintInstall is pretty easy but uninstalling them is another story.

My personal view
After trying both Ubuntu and Mint I've chosen to stay with Ubuntu. Why? Almost everything you get with Mint can be easily added to your Ubuntu installation with a few commands if you have a working internet connection. And what's more important is the community behind Ubuntu is something that no other distro has. Also, I personally don't like the green theme that comes with Mint. (yeah, i'm just one of those odd people who love the vainilla brown theme of ubuntu. ;) ) Finally, on my computer I detected some minor problems on Mint that I hadn't experienced before on Ubuntu.