PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dell problems

jlost
March 9th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I am trying to load ubuntu 8.10 from a cd onto a dell latitude laptop (1.2ghz,256mb, new 40g hd), it loads up to the time zone screen and locks-up. Please help!

whoop
March 9th, 2009, 05:13 PM
which version of ubuntu are you trying to install?

jlost
March 9th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Sorry, it's 8.10

avtolle
March 9th, 2009, 07:36 PM
With 256mb RAM, you're going to need to use the Alternate Install iso burned to CD. The minimum system requirements to use the Live (Desktop) CD includes 384 mb RAM to allow the graphical installer to run.

The Alternate installer is text-based, thus doesn't need the extra overhead to run. Bluntly, I'd recommend Xubuntu (has a lighter DE) to you with 256mb, if you don't want to upgrade the RAM (which is always my first suggestion), as it will give you a bit better performance. Other lightweight window managers/desktops include openbox, LXDE (used on Knoppix), and there are other suggestions that I'm sure will be made.

jlost
March 9th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the info, i am planning to upgrade the ram, just havn't bought the hardware yet.

avtolle
March 9th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Here's a link to the alternate installer: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

jlost
March 9th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the link, finally loaded ok using "safe grapics" option. My new problem is to get it to talk to my netgear router. It comes up in the wireless list but won't connect.