PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Flash Player

pconn5
March 9th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I was just wondering if anybody else is having trouble downloading and installing adobe flash player. If I try to do sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree the install just gets hung up and will never finish. Also if I go to the site and try to download the .deb file from the site. The download will not start. I think this is a problem with Adobes site not downloading properly or something. If anyone has the .deb file for adobe flash player that can post it or something that would be great.

Neo_The_User
March 9th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Use the tar.gz for linux and build.

avtolle
March 9th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I was just wondering if anybody else is having trouble downloading and installing adobe flash player. If I try to do sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree the install just gets hung up and will never finish. Also if I go to the site and try to download the .deb file from the site. The download will not start. I think this is a problem with Adobes site not downloading properly or something. If anyone has the .deb file for adobe flash player that can post it or something that would be great.
Question(s): Are you using 64-bit or 32-bit Ubuntu? Are you on a pre-intel Mac with a ppc chip? If the answer to the second question is in the affirmative, you're not going to be able to install Flash.

Neo_The_User
March 9th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Question(s): Are you using 64-bit or 32-bit Ubuntu? Are you on a pre-intel Mac with a ppc chip? If the answer to the second question is in the affirmative, you're not going to be able to install Flash.

Flash doesn't support PowerPCs?

avtolle
March 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Flash doesn't support PowerPCs?
For ppc on linux, no (at least not any "modern" version). If you know better, post on the Apple Users Forum; there will be a large number of very happy users who might build an altar and sacrifice a goat in your honor....

Seriously, what the ppc community (linux ppc community, and more specifically Ubuntu and its variants, as this is all I can directly comment upon) has learned is to use either gnash or swfdec for some limited Flash support (works sometimes, usually doesn't at all or just partially); or, download youtube videos via the Firefox add-on, the play the extracted video on a media player.

Neo_The_User
March 9th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I always had a bad experience with gnash. Anything but that. But I haven't tried anything but gnash and abobe flash.

avtolle
March 9th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Understand your bad experience with gnash. To anyone interested, see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ#Flash,%20Flash%20video%20and%20Gnash for the current status of Flash in ppc Ubuntu.

EDIT: The reason I posed the second question to the OP was the description of the difficulties encountered echoed many a thread on the Apple Forum I've read in the past two plus years, and a bit of personal experience "back in the day".

pconn5
March 9th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. No I am not on a Mac. I have tried to download the .tar.gz file for linux but it will not download from the adobe site for some reason. If I had the file I believe it should work but I cannot download it.

avtolle
March 9th, 2009, 06:45 PM
RE: download problems. Are you stuck behind a proxy? If downloading (or trying to download) at your work site, is there some policy that proscribes downloads from sites "not authorized"?

chicozoo
March 9th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Hello,

I'm having a hard time installing flash 10 on 8.04 32bit. When I use the package installer I get "error: dependency is not satisfiable: libpango1.0-0" Can anyone help?

Thanks

Neo_The_User
March 9th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Hello,

I'm having a hard time installing flash 10 on 8.04 32bit. When I use the package installer I get "error: dependency is not satisfiable: libpango1.0-0" Can anyone help?

Thanks

Yes. Open up a terminal and copy and paste the following command

sudo apt-get install libpango1.0-0 libpangomm-1.4-1 libpango1.0-common

chicozoo
March 9th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Didn't work. This is what I got

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libpango1.0-0 is already the newest version.
E: Couldn't find package libpangomm-1.4-1

Sorry, Im new to all this.

Neo_The_User
March 9th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Didn't work. This is what I got

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libpango1.0-0 is already the newest version.
E: Couldn't find package libpangomm-1.4-1

Sorry, Im new to all this.

Sorry take out libpangomm-1.4-1 because that application is in 8.10. I didn't see you are using 8.04. My mistake.

pconn5
March 9th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I'm not stuck behind a proxy. This problem occurs even when I tried to download on my other computer running windows so I am not sure why it won't download. The download starts and freezes at .2% then won't continue. Can someone try and download the .deb file from the adobe site for me and see if it works?

Neo_The_User
March 9th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Try using wget.

Terminal:

wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz

or...

wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_10_linux.deb
sudo dpkg -i install_flash_player_10_linux.deb

View the README.