View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10 does not load from bootable CD

ad.madhavan
March 9th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I have a weird problem, my laptop:

· 1.5 GB RAM

· 55GB hard drive

· Intel centrino 1.6GHz

· 14.1" Gateway laptop

has been giving BSOD in Windows, so I decided to install Ubuntu 8.10. I inserts the CD and then selects English, Start or install Ubuntu. After that I can hear my CD rom running really fast but nothing show up even after a good 20 mins. I also tried loading from Live CD (Try Ubuntu without changes to HD) option and get the same result. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

wpshooter
March 9th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Have you checked the integrity of the CD by running the verification function that is found on the initial Ubuntu boot screen menu ?

ad.madhavan
March 9th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Yes, I did run the test. And it passes.

wpshooter
March 9th, 2009, 04:57 PM
If you are trying to install from the live CD version, have you tried installing in safe-graphics mode ?

If safe-graphics mode does not work then try installing from the ALTERNATE (texted based) CD version of Ubuntu.

ad.madhavan
March 9th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Why do you think this is happening? Just curious....I will try the Alternate CD tonight. Anything else that I should perhaps try.

wpshooter
March 9th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Why do you think this is happening? Just curious....I will try the Alternate CD tonight. Anything else that I should perhaps try.

My "guess" would be some type of problem in hardware detection.

I have found in a lot of cases the Alternate CD is better at this.

upchucky
March 9th, 2009, 07:07 PM
are u sure its a cd, and not a DVD? some pc's do not have a DVD and thus will not boot live distros that are for DVD

ad.madhavan
March 9th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hmmm...will need to check when I get home. I think its also very important to mention that I checked whether the CD/DVD works on another computer, but on the laptop when I select Check CD option it does the same thing. CD drive starts making noise and it hangs.

ad.madhavan
March 10th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Ok now I am using the Alternate CD but I get this error when I try to install:

[XXXX.XXXX]Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block XXXXX

Do anyone know why this is happening?

I tried installing OpenSuse 11.0 and it works. My laptop now runs OpenSuse 11.0, but I still want to install Ubuntu.