PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What should a distro have?

Abhinavhardikar
March 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hi

I am collecting info about what should be there in a Linux Distro (Mainly essential programs). I would like to have a detailed description from each one of you as far as possible from the forums. This is my honest request. :).

As per me a Linux distro should be one which loads fast and has all the essential programs which would not overload the computer(for example 3D effects like the cube. But it gives a kind of wealth to the distro).

So I would like to know what you people recommend(Gnome,KDE,Xfce,etc.).

Abhinav

calrogman
March 14th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Whatever the creator/creators/project manager of a distro wants the distro to have.

kellemes
March 14th, 2009, 11:35 PM
So I would like to know what you people recommend(Gnome,KDE,Xfce,etc.).

Can hardly call a desktopmanager essential..
Well, a good filemanager is always handy, GNU Midnight Commander (http://www.midnight-commander.org/) would be my choice.

teseglet
March 15th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Problematic question based on goal of distro. Do you want usership? Speed? Conversion appeal from M$? Functionality? Stability? A lot of setup? Little setup? ... the list could go on. and on ... and on. Really cannot address without knowing objective.

Personally I could get by 95% of the time with a browser, email, music player, word processor and glitzy customizable theme so with all that is out there I don't need another one.

bendib
March 16th, 2009, 11:49 AM
For me, it has to have gnome firefox gimp and a good packaging system.
It also must be tweakable. So I made my own.

Yashiro
March 17th, 2009, 01:04 AM
A distro approved backup program.