PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reinstall Windows after installing Ubuntu

sdoolman
March 9th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Hello, This is my 1st post in this amazing forum!
Currently I have 2 Hard Disks which the first is dedicated for Windows Vista Ultimate, and the other is for Ubuntu 8.10.
I've installed Ubuntu on the second after I installed Windows XP on the first.
So, actually what I want to do is to transform my Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows Vista Enterprise (basically cuz I hate Windows Media Center...:lolflag:) without harming my precious Ubuntu :D
I have found this topic: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=534038 which talks about how to remove Windows in this situation, but I think I've not fully understood it.
I'd be glad to hear a second opinion from you or some guidance points to help me survive this revolution :P
Thanks in Advance!

[-o<[-o<[-o<

albandy
March 9th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I think changing your license of vista to enterprise is enought

sdoolman
March 9th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I think changing your license of vista to enterprise is enought

Thanks for the quick reply, however, I'm thinking of reinstalling the whole system because it's kinda screwed up, and the repair wizard in Vista DVD did not help much.
What do you say?

albandy
March 9th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Ok, install vista and then reinstall grub with the live cd.

Therion
March 9th, 2009, 03:53 PM
How to Dual-boot Vista With Linux (Vista Installed First) -- The Step-by-Step Guide With Screenshots

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm

sdoolman
March 9th, 2009, 03:53 PM
So actually I format the Vista's Hard Disk partition through Ubuntu, then installing the new Vista into the formated Hard Disk, and then reinstalling Grub from the Live CD?

albandy
March 9th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Yes.
When reinstall vista your boot menu will disapear, this is normal because windows will write in the boot sector.

After installing vista run with the live cd. I recomend you to use the alternate cd you can download from ubuntu because have a repair option in the boot menu.

sdoolman
March 9th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Alright, Thank you! I think I've got it.
I try that, to see if it works :P
Thanks again!