PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] keyboard layout switching

shochatd
March 9th, 2009, 03:24 PM
At one time (probably with an earlier version), I was able to switch among different language keyboard layouts, but I can't figure out how to do this now. I've installed language support in synaptic for Bulgarian, Macedonian and Croatian. But I can't figure out how to add the applet to my panel for switching layouts on the fly. I did find one for xfce, and I was able to log into the xfce desktop and add that to the xfce panel. But that one only shows a US flag and clicking on it has no effect. I have 8.10, fully updated. I'd be happy to get this working in GNOME or XFCE.

albandy
March 9th, 2009, 03:31 PM
try loading scim

shochatd
March 10th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Synaptic says I already have it.

Chemical Imbalance
March 10th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Try adding the panel applet called Keyboard Indicator
You can right-click on it to change layouts if you set them up by left-clicking on it first

shochatd
March 11th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Ok, thanks. I already have keyboard indicator, but I wasn't sure whether that was supposed to allow me to change the layout (as opposed to just seeing what the current one was). When I right mouse, the only available layout is USA. How do I get other layouts to show up? I thought that adding language support for other languages would do it, but I guess I have to go somewhere else to add the other language keyboard layouts.
-- David

Chemical Imbalance
March 11th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Right-click (not left) on it to get a list of options to change all of that. Go to keyboard preferences and click the plus sign to add a different layout. Then once you have more than one layout in there you can left-click on the applet to change between them.

shochatd
March 11th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Thank you! That was exactly the information I needed (it worked).
-- David

Chemical Imbalance
March 11th, 2009, 04:58 PM
No problemo :)