PDA

View Full Version : Elive ???

emad_ramlawi
March 9th, 2009, 03:16 PM
When ELIVE free stable version comes out will u turn ur back to ubuntu???

Skripka
March 9th, 2009, 03:21 PM
When ELIVE free stable version comes out will u turn ur back to ubuntu???

Since when was Elive going to stop charging for i386 Debian?

cmat
March 9th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Ha, no. No amount of flashiness is going to make me turn away from Ubuntu and it's community.

Therion
March 9th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Since when was Elive going to stop charging for i386 Debian?
Zing!

Wouldn't use it if was free. Nothing against it, I just don't care for it.

emad_ramlawi
March 9th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Note:

For the next stable release, it is planned to allow the download totally free. Instead of pay for the download you should pay just for the installation. This means that the live mode is entirely free and you should pay only if you want to install Elive in your hard disk.

its said on their web

Bölvağur
March 9th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I will not be moving from ubuntu to elive? umm... no.
It will be more likely I will finally bother to install Arch.

At most I will dual boot ubuntu and elive to see how elive works and to know if it will be helpful to new users that may be more into the eyecandy and shiny and glittering things.

Therion
March 9th, 2009, 03:30 PM
... Instead of pay for the download you should pay just for the installation.
I'm sorry, but I'm totally missing your point.

Pay to download or pay to install. I don't really see a difference.

/Am also getting tempted by Arch.
//Everyone just needs to quit bringing it up!!!
///hapless distro-*****...

Skripka
March 9th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Note:

For the next stable release, it is planned to allow the download totally free. Instead of pay for the download you should pay just for the installation. This means that the live mode is entirely free and you should pay only if you want to install Elive in your hard disk.

its said on their web

It is free unless you install it???

Some very clever marketing....jeeeebus-and I thought Microsoft was tops in their usage of irony in advertising.

perlluver
March 9th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Nah, I will continue using Ubuntu, since it is free to install, and use. Why would I pay to use a Linux Distro? I can get 98% of them for free, and just install E-17.

Tux Aubrey
March 10th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I'll try it but I doubt it will take me away from Ubuntu. Elive was a good demo of e17, but I haven't been all that impressed with its stability (I gave up at "Gem"), the way e16 is "integrated" (why bother?) or the Elpanel gadget (e17 is easy to configure without it, IMO).

The whole charging for download thing was a big turn-off - and while I'd like to keep track of the project, there are free alternatives that are just as interesting.

Elive was my first introduction to e17 and so I have a soft spot for it, but I'd really rather the e-devs gave some attention to the core DE and got a beta out as an Ubuntu package.