PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with Internet surfing??

karan virdi
March 9th, 2009, 01:52 PM
i hav recently installed ubuntu on my desktop as a 2nd OS next to windows.............now i am facing a problem .... i am using a BSNL internet connection.......now i have entered the username and password settings in the DSL connections.....now when i switch on my modem it detects it and after sometimes it shows "connected to etho" but i delete this connection and it asks for the default password i enter it and then it shows"connected to the mentioned user name" which means now my internet connections is activated....but when i click on the firefox icon it just opens up ans shows address not found.....i hav also untick the work offline option but it still doesn't work??............the mian thing is that i am not able to surf the net while my internet connection is working......

Mark Phelps
March 9th, 2009, 09:04 PM
When you get the "connected to" popup, don't delete it -- that is your network connection. The specification of eth0 merely indicates the first "wired" network, as opposed to wlan0 which would indicate the first wireless network.

karan virdi
March 11th, 2009, 06:00 AM
ok ,,i hav done this way also but it doesn't yield any result........i am still getting the "adress not found error".....i am completely lossed now

Mark Phelps
March 13th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Sorry ... don't have a solution. Suggest you visit the Networking subforum. They have some pinned posts dealing with networking problems.

Peter09
March 13th, 2009, 05:52 PM
can you post the output of the terminal commands

ifconfig
and

lshw -C network

Note that you can make the output into a file by doing for example

ifconfig > ifconfig.txt

this will put the output into a file called ifconfig.txt in your home directory.