PDA

View Full Version : Currently Reading

Von-Dyke
March 9th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Well i haven't seen a post like this on the forums yet, but i want to know what everyone is reading currently, what they rate it out of 10, what its about (Genre, plot etc), and whether they would read any more of the author's works.

i.e:

I'm currently reading:

Comte de Volney - ou méditations sur les révolutions des empires

Loosely translated to Volney's Ruins.

Its Philosophy/History, and details the rise and fall of empires c. 1791, but also contains ideas about the inevitable union of all religion because they contain the same basic truths.
So far so good, i'd give it 7/10.

Hunter S. Thompson - Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

Gonzo Journalism, shotgun writing of Hunter while he is in a drug induced tour of las vegas for Rolling Stone Magazine. Crazy book, there are random tangents throughout it. 9/10, and i've already started looking out for his other works.

Anybody else interested in getting this thread off the ground?

Moustacha
March 9th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I'm currently reading Insomnia by Stephen King. Read Gerald's Game before that. That was some messed up stuff.
Cell, also by King, is a good one. Loved that one, end of the world stuff.
I'm making my way through some of his stuff. I've read a lot of Arthur C. Clarke and Terry Pratchett too.

I've been wanting to read fear and loathing in las vegas. Big fan of the movie. Haven't been able to find it at the local library yet. Might have to request it.

Jesterday
March 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I just read Dearly Devoted Dexter, The Watchmen and Maus 1 & 2.

I read Graphic Novels a lot, Maus 1 & 2 were great books.

JackieChan
March 9th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I just finished Watchmen a few weeks ago, and now I'm reading The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories by H.P. Lovecraft

It's a collection of short stories from pretty much the greatest author who ever lived. These stories are just Sci-Fi/fantasy/horror stories. This guy takes Edgar Allen Poe's essence, modernizes it, makes it more confusing, and adds a Sci-Fi element. Right now, I'm reading the short story The Call of Cthulhu. The plot is kind of hard to explain, you would have to read the story, but I'm going to try to summarize it as best as possible. It's about research collected over the years about cosmic God named Cthulhu. Cthulhu is worshiped by a cult, the Cthulhu cult. He's a cosmic God with an appearance that leaves you on the brink of insanity. He's as big as a mountain. He resides in the underwater city of R'lyeh. One day Cthulhu will rise up from this city and destroy the world. Cthulhu, along with the other Great Old Ones, came from the sky before mankind was manifested.

http://www.summeroflovecraft.com/images/cthulhu-6.jpg

I've read a lot of these other stories, like Dagon and The Last Test, and they talk about the other Great Old Ones. It's very interesting stuff. These stories are some of the most creative and interesting things I've ever read. I highly recommend this book.

My next book I plan on reading is going to be about Japanese folktale and Japanese mythology. Those stories have an thrilling horror aspect to them, and seeing them in this culture is really cool. The yokai stories are very intriguing to me. I'm very interested in the Yamawaro (from Gazu Hyakki Yakō), Wanyūdō, tons of other yokai, and tsukumogamis. I'm also thinking about reading Akira and Batman: The Killing Joke, I could use another good graphic novel.

I'm interested to see what you users are reading. Let me know if you have any recommendations for me. :)

elliotn
March 9th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I am reading the book ''I write what I want'' by the late Steve Biko

sanderella
March 9th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I'm currently working my way through Anthony Trollope's novels. Now reading 'The Duke's Children'.;)

Onyros
March 9th, 2009, 08:22 PM
"The Gargoyle", by Andrew Davidson. Truly surprising.

Firestem4
March 9th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Im in the process of reading "Winterbirth" by Brian Rucklkey.

I'm not very far into the book yet (I just got it recently) So I am not sure what is happening but I have heard great things about it. It is supposeed to be an Epic Fantasy.

Von-Dyke
March 9th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Glad to see this took off, i wasn't sure if it would or not seeing as there wasnt already a thread about it.