PDA

View Full Version : Making a Local Radio station

elliotn
March 9th, 2009, 11:05 AM
What will it take to make a local fm radio station, I mean one that can use opensource softwares, atleast be tuned 2km from my home, and I've noticed that those car usb mp3 players also uses fm turner to play music in a car.

Nevon
March 9th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I don't know what the laws are where you're from, but here in Sweden it's illegal unless you own the rights to the frequency you're broadcasting on. Those usb mp3 players have such a short broadcasting distance that no one cares about it, but if you start broadcasting to lots of people - you might get into trouble. At least that's the way it is here.

mips
March 9th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I don't know what the laws are where you're from, but here in Sweden it's illegal unless you own the rights to the frequency you're broadcasting on. Those usb mp3 players have such a short broadcasting distance that no one cares about it, but if you start broadcasting to lots of people - you might get into trouble. At least that's the way it is here.

The laws are the same in South Africa. It's illegal and rightly so for various reasons.

You need to do this through the right channels and in South Africa that would be ICASA (http://www.icasa.org.za/)
Have a look at Low Power, Community & Public licenses.

elliotn
March 9th, 2009, 01:18 PM
The point is to brocast first then when I know which is what, thats when then I will go to ICASA for the licence.

mips
March 9th, 2009, 01:34 PM
The point is to brocast first then when I know which is what, thats when then I will go to ICASA for the licence.

It does not work that way, you are adopting a backwards approach.
To find you via triangulation is easy.
Them confiscating all your equipment is easy and that includes the transmitter, computer etc.
You paying the fine is going to be hard.
You getting your equipment back via a court case is going to be expensive and most likely for your cost seeing you already admit that you are going to violate the laws in question.

You rational is akin to me buying a gun (although hard without a license) on the premise that I will license it later. Or you will drive a car on the road first just to see what it feels like without the car being licensed or you having a valid drivers license.

We have enough crime, corruption & violation of daily laws in this country without you contributing to the already massive problem.