PDA

View Full Version : Wish Me Luck

Von-Dyke
March 9th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Im resizing partitions.. Its my way of almost taking the entire plunge into Ubuntu.

Before: 400gb XP, 100gb Ubuntu (Seeing what it was like)
After: 150 XP (Purely Gaming), 350gb Ubuntu (Main Usage)

gparted is resizing the partitions now. Seems to be taking a while but im assuming thats normal. Fingers crossed ^.^

I already posted this in installation...and looking back i probably shouldnt have >.<

FuturePilot
March 9th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Good luck. And yes if you're resizing a partition to the left it will take a while. Just be patient ;)

swoll1980
March 9th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Im resizing partitions.. Its my way of almost taking the entire plunge into Ubuntu.

Before: 400gb XP, 100gb Ubuntu (Seeing what it was like)
After: 150 XP (Purely Gaming), 350gb Ubuntu (Main Usage)

gparted is resizing the partitions now. Seems to be taking a while but im assuming thats normal. Fingers crossed ^.^

I already posted this in installation...and looking back i probably shouldnt have >.<

If your growing the Ubuntu partition backwards it has to copy and move all your files, so it will take awhile.

Von-Dyke
March 9th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I'm actually quite excited, its as if xmas was coming early :D

Von-Dyke
March 9th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Repartitioning....Successful :D

I am now, more or less, relying on Ubuntu for all my desktop needs.

JohnFH
March 9th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Excited about partitioning? Oh dear ... ;)

Incidently what are you going to use Ubuntu for? I'm just wondering why you need to reparition and what you use you hard disk space for.

FuturePilot
March 9th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Excited about partitioning? Oh dear ... ;)

Incidently what are you going to use Ubuntu for? I'm just wondering why you need to reparition and what you use you hard disk space for.

If you're not going to use an OS as your primary OS, what is the point of allocating 400GB or whatever it might be to that OS? It's a waste of usable space.

The last time I reinstalled Ubuntu, I shrank my Windows partition a little smaller simply because I rarely use it, so what's the point of giving it so much space when I could better use that space in Ubuntu.

Fenris_rising
March 9th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Well done that man! I did did a dual boot install for a friend yesterday
The drive is now in 3 parts having used gparted. A small partition for XP a partition for Ubuntu and the remains of the free space have been formatted as ntfs so both OS's can see and use it.

It's fun for sure :D

regards

Fenris

JohnFH
March 9th, 2009, 02:30 PM
If you're not going to use an OS as your primary OS, what is the point of allocating 400GB or whatever it might be to that OS? It's a waste of usable space.

The last time I reinstalled Ubuntu, I shrank my Windows partition a little smaller simply because I rarely use it, so what's the point of giving it so much space when I could better use that space in Ubuntu.

It depends entirely on what you are using the space for. Gaming can use up quite a lot of space, whereas editing Linux configuration files doesn't. 100Gb Ubuntu partition is quite sizable and easily adequate for most people's needs.