PDA

View Full Version : Responsiveless on the bottom edge of Touchpad

afeasfaerw23231233
March 9th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Hi, I just what to know if the bottom edge (around 1cm) of your touchpad is untouchable - i.e. responsiveless?

FuturePilot
March 9th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Now that's odd. I never noticed that before but yes it is. But what is strange is that if I put my finger on the middle for example and move it down to the bottom, the bottom cm is still responsive. But if I put my finger immediately on the bottom cm it doesn't respond. :?

Moustacha
March 9th, 2009, 07:22 AM
I found the very bottom right hand corner, if you tap it, does a right click

afeasfaerw23231233
March 9th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Thank for quick replies. But bottom 1cm is completely responsiveless, either in windows xp or ubuntu. I didn't use a touchpad before so I am not sure if that's a disorder or not. Well... I don't want going to their lousy support centre as long as my notebook doesn't have big problem. (The damn driver cd doesn't even contain the wireless lan and touchpad drivers)

FuturePilot
March 9th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Hmm. I think I know why it acts like that. For horizontal scrolling. Like I said in my other post, if you're currently moving the cursor around and happen to move over the scrolling part it will continue to move the cursor. But if you put your finger on the scrolling part immediately it will scroll. Test it out on a wide page that can be scrolled horizontally. It works ;)

afeasfaerw23231233
March 9th, 2009, 07:48 AM
But my touchpad bottom 1cm is responsiveless in any situation. And I have already enabled horizontal scroll in Preference > Mouse > touchpad. Don't know if my touchpad is partly malfuction.

afeasfaerw23231233
March 9th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I think my touchpad definitely has a problem. The size of the touchpad is 7.8cm x 4.2cm. But it seems that the usable area is 7.8cm x 3.2cm. The 1cm on the bottom part is unusable. Now I can do the horizontal trick on that 'invisable edge' -- 1cm above the real edge. The same situation in win xp.

If I go to the customer centre then it may take months to get it back. Would anyone who has a laptop please share your opinion here? Did you have the same problem and do you think my touchpad has problem or it's a driver problem?

afeasfaerw23231233
March 11th, 2009, 05:50 AM
bump

afeasfaerw23231233
March 12th, 2009, 05:20 AM
bump

amitabhishek
March 12th, 2009, 05:31 AM
On my Dell D630 bottom edge is non responsive. However I am not sure if it matters...to me it doesn't. I rarely venture there.

afeasfaerw23231233
March 12th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Thanks for reply.

afeasfaerw23231233
March 13th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Bump. So few people use touchpad?

wannadumpwindows
March 13th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Thank for quick replies. But bottom 1cm is completely responsiveless, either in windows xp or ubuntu. I didn't use a touchpad before so I am not sure if that's a disorder or not. Well... I don't want going to their lousy support centre as long as my notebook doesn't have big problem. (The damn driver cd doesn't even contain the wireless lan and touchpad drivers)

If it happens in Windows and Ubuntu, that's a pretty good indicator that it's a problem with your touchpad, and not the OS.

Sounds like you have a dead spot on your touchpad. Only way to fix it is to install a new one. I've been looking for one for a friends computer for quite some time and have had no such luck. Hope yours is better than mine.

However, I now know about the bottom corner right click, which I like. I never knew about that at all. But horizontal scrolling has never worked for me either.

afeasfaerw23231233
March 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Oh, my touchpad really has bottom? I don't want to go their customer service centre! They may need months to repair! I regret that I chose this brand.

wannadumpwindows
March 13th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Oh, my touchpad really has bottom? I don't want to go their customer service centre! They may need months to repair! I regret that I chose this brand.

There's a chance that you're just going to run into a bad part every now and then. It happens. It's the nature of manufacturing, even though we'd all rather it wasn't.

How long have you had the laptop? If it's still under warranty, you would at least get it repaired for free. It might take forever, like you say, which it usually does. In my world though, forever for free is still better than forever to pay for it.

If it's new enough, you could always just return it or exchange it for a different model.

afeasfaerw23231233
March 13th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I just bought it two weeks ago. I noticed that the touchpad is senseless at the bottom edge two days after I bought it. I was busy with getting Ubuntu works those days. This "Hasee" has the worst customer support ever! When I have holiday and my notebook is free I will bring it to them for repairment. [It has 1 year warrantee free of charge and 3 year with maintenance and hardware costs]

p.s.

If it's new enough, you could always just return it or exchange it for a different model.
No, no. I am not willing to pay extra money and upgrade to a different model which is manufacture under their crap brand.
Maybe I need to live with this 3/4 usable area of touchpad in these few months.

wannadumpwindows
March 13th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I just bought it two weeks ago. I noticed that the touchpad is senseless at the bottom edge two days after I bought it. I was busy with getting Ubuntu works those days. This "Hasee" has the worst customer support ever! When I have holiday and my notebook is free I will bring it to them for repairment. [It has 1 year warrantee free of charge and 3 year with maintenance and hardware costs]

p.s.

No, no. I am not willing to pay extra money and upgrade to a different model which is manufacture under their crap brand.
Maybe I need to live with this 3/4 usable area of touchpad in these few months.

If it's only two weeks old, I would seriously consider exchanging it for another one of the same model, if that's allowed. Return it to the store, whatever you need to do. Two weeks old and already having issues isn't something that I'd be happy with.

If you don't want to deal with it, you could always go the USB wireless mouse route. I have two and like them both, they're by far better than using the touchpad.

afeasfaerw23231233
March 13th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. But I am so tired to reinstall everything again.
My desk is always messy. So I would prefer touchpad rather than mouse.
And I am not sure if I am allowed to exchange it for another model just because of the touchpad issue.
Sad that I did not do research from the net before buying it.

tom66
March 13th, 2009, 08:39 PM
The bottom edge of my touchpad is working fine. On pages supporting horizontal scroll it scrolls horizontally else if you just move your finger there it works fine.

Most touchpads aren't manufactured by the laptop maker, but instead by another company (in my experience, mostly Synaptics). Of course it's the laptop manufacturers' problem (and it should have been picked up in testing, if any), but you should be complaining about said touchpad manufacturer's poor touchpads.

afeasfaerw23231233
March 13th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I really don't know which manufacturer made my touchpad. The darn user manual, BIOS, specication on its site tell nothing at all. I requested a BIOS and touchpad driver but never get any reply.
When my notebook is free I'll go the customer centre and complain about it.

wannadumpwindows
March 13th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I really don't know which manufacturer made my touchpad. The darn user manual, BIOS, specication on its site tell nothing at all. I requested a BIOS and touchpad driver but never get any reply.
When my notebook is free I'll go the customer centre and complain about it.

There are a few exceptions, but nearly every touchpad out there is made by the same company, Synaptics.

It could be another brand, but it's unlikely. But if it is, that could be part of the reason it isn't working properly.

As a few of the previous posters have mentioned, it could be a horizontal scrolling issue. That's usually the area you would use for horizontal scrolling.

afeasfaerw23231233
March 14th, 2009, 03:43 AM
There are a few exceptions, but nearly every touchpad out there is made by the same company, Synaptics.

It could be another brand, but it's unlikely. But if it is, that could be part of the reason it isn't working properly.

As a few of the previous posters have mentioned, it could be a horizontal scrolling issue. That's usually the area you would use for horizontal scrolling.

But I can do the horzontal scrolling on the "invisible edge" -- the boundary 1 cm above the bottom.

tom66
March 14th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Is it possible that the touchpad has been physically moved out of place? Instead of a seperate surface for your touchpad, is it part of the case (is it flush with the casing, there is only a dip where the touchpad should be and it's not a seperate piece of plastic/whatever?) I know a few laptops which have a touchpad flush with the casing.

afeasfaerw23231233
March 14th, 2009, 02:27 PM
It's a seperate piece of plastic. This notebook is cheap so it's just an ordinary touchpad with two button below it. The physical appearance of the touchpad is good.

But I doubt that if it's a driver problem. If the bottom 1 cm is really senseless, then why would I be able to scroll horizontally on the "invisible edge" 1 cm above the real edge? The surface area of the touchpad is around 7.5cm(width) x 4.5cm(height). Would the system misrecognize it as a 7.5cm x 3.5cm?