PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Non Internet connected Ubuntu

RustyWyatt
March 9th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Howdy,

I have just installed 8.10 on a desktop box I hope to setup as a HDTV-DVR. I have a problem that I hope someone may be able to help me with.

My only method to connect to the Internet is my Black Berry tethered telephone over the Sprint network (this setup works very well and gives me a connection where I cannot get any other service in rural NV!). I am able to connect via my laptop and therefore can post this message and down load files.

I want to get the Black Berry/Sprint setup on line so I can update and operate Ubuntu normally.

My though is to get VirtualBox WinXP working on the DVR box and then get the Black Berry/Sprint setup online directly with Ubuntu

How can I run updates and download packages via my laptop. I can use my home network to transfer from my laptop to the DVR PC. I also have Ubuntu on my laptop but have not yet been able to get the BB/Sprint setup to work in it either;-(

Or, does anyone know how to connect Ubuntu from the DVR pc through my home network-lapto-WinXP-BB/Sprint setup?

All comments Greatly Appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom

cariboo
March 9th, 2009, 08:56 AM
You could setup internet connection sharing on your laptop. Have a look at this howto (http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/02/ubuntu-internet-connection-sharing.html).

Jim

RustyWyatt
March 9th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks Jim!
;)
I'll take a look at this tonight.

Tom

RustyWyatt
March 10th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Howdy,

Well I still have a problem with not being able to apt-get directly for this setup.

Anyone know how to apt-get on one computer and transfer it to a computer (via cd or network)that is not connected to the Internet?

All info GREATLY appreciated!

Tom