PDA

View Full Version : Using Hardy. Will 9.04 be worth the switch?

kaldor
March 9th, 2009, 05:54 AM
I have been using Hardy on my laptop, never Intrepid. I saw no reason in the least as to why I would want to upgrade to 8.10.

Is there a changelog or anything out there I can look at for 9.04? Do you think it is worth the switch once it comes out, or am I better off just sticking with Hardy?

swoll1980
March 9th, 2009, 05:59 AM
I have been using Hardy on my laptop, never Intrepid. I saw no reason in the least as to why I would want to upgrade to 8.10.

Is there a changelog or anything out there I can look at for 9.04? Do you think it is worth the switch once it comes out, or am I better off just sticking with Hardy?

/www.ubuntu.com/testing/jaunty/alpha5 I will upgrade for the hell of it, no good reason though.

davidryder
March 9th, 2009, 06:02 AM
It didn't look like there were any changes worthy of an upgrade... jmo

SunnyRabbiera
March 9th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Yeh Jaunty seems to be another sleeper.

Von-Dyke
March 9th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Yeh Jaunty seems to be another sleeper.

Whats a sleeper?

rotwang888
March 9th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Nobody's excited about ext4? It booted up 8.7 seconds faster in a test! :P

LouisZepher
March 9th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I'm tinkering with the idea of upgrading to the Jaunty Alpha, but I haven't seen anything that's of any interest to risk my current set-up until a RC is available.

Other than Amarok, are there any known updates to the more-widely used software?

jomiolto
March 9th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Firefox 3.1 (hopefully) and KDE 4.2 are something I'm looking forward to -- although Firefox 3.1 seems to be delayed so much that I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't make it. Also, ext4 seems like a nice improvement over ext3. Besides that I've also had some audio problems in Hardy and those seem to have gone away with the Jaunty alphas I've tried.

Intrepid was never a good release for me, but I'm hoping that Jaunty will be much better :)

swoll1980
March 9th, 2009, 08:07 AM

From what I heard, grub won't boot it, so it's going to be a pain to set it up.

swoll1980
March 9th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Firefox 3.1 (hopefully) and KDE 4.2 are something I'm looking forward to -- although Firefox 3.1 seems to be delayed so much that I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't make it. Also, ext4 seems like a nice improvement over ext3. Besides that I've also had some audio problems in Hardy and those seem to have gone away with the Jaunty alphas I've tried.

Intrepid was never a good release for me, but I'm hoping that Jaunty will be much better :)

Intrepid's been solid for me, but I couldn't tell you what the difference is, between it, and Hardy

Joeb454
March 9th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I doubt that Firefox 3.1 will be included in Jaunty.

As far as I'm aware, Mozilla are releasing Beta 4 early April. I'd prefer to see it in there, but I don't think it will be :(

Ioky
March 9th, 2009, 10:44 AM

Perfectly agree, no one? That is like booting in 20 sec people. and it should running 20% faster. And also for the one who use Nvdia, have you even hear of the 180... Driver? It is much better!!!! And OpenOffice 3.0? (although I hope it is 3.1) Also KDE 4.2 for KDE lover. suffer enough with 4.1 yet? (Not say 4.2 is perfect, but at least better than 4.1=.=!)

It has full of reason for me to upgrade. I would say the most reasonable upgrade so far. 8.04 indeed have a nice title as LTS, but is it really that good because very questionable.

Sand & Mercury
March 9th, 2009, 10:54 AM
^ 4.2 marks the first time for me that I've been able to switch completely to KDE4 and prefer it over GNOME. It really is a massive improvement, and coupled with the changes in Xorg Kwin is now silky smooth for me with compositing, where in Intrepid it was a nightmare.

Jaunty is shaping up to be an unspectacular but solid improvement over Intrepid for me. It feels much snappier and just has a bit more polish. It boots quite quickly too, I've not done any benchmarking, but it feels quite similar to XP as far as boot time is concerned.

The clincher for me is that it is a lot lighter on system resources. Seriously, it's light as a feather compared to Hardy & Intrepid

markbuntu
March 9th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Jaunty still has some problems. If I was going to upgrade from Hardy to use it as my main OS, I would wait until June or July. Unless there is some seriously compelling reason, like desperately needed hardware support, upgrading is fraught with uneccessary peril.

Johnsie
March 9th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Don't judge the boot times by the alphas. By the time the RC comes out it will more than likely be signficantly slower. This isn't the first time testers have got excited about fast boot times and then been disappointed at release time. If you look back at the feedback for alphas of 'Edgy' you will see the same thing happening. Edgy was alot quicker to boot but the more they added the slower it got.

Hells_Dark
March 9th, 2009, 05:25 PM

I don't understand what you mean since i already installed janty (using ext4) on my girlfriend's laptop..

wolfen69
March 9th, 2009, 06:22 PM
upgrading is fraught with uneccessary peril.

a little melodramatic maybe?

it's an OS, not life and death.

anyway, i will be upgrading via fresh install as i always do when a new release comes out. i just love fresh new shiny things. i'm installing jaunty64 in virtualbox as i type. should be good.

plus, i need to know about new releases for my job. i now have 12 customers using linux.

wolfen69
March 9th, 2009, 06:33 PM

i can confirm that it boots ext4 just fine.

smartboyathome
March 9th, 2009, 06:50 PM

I think both Ubuntu 9.04 and Arch Linux use a patched GRUB legacy for booting up from EXT4. If you use Grub2, it works just fine with no patching.

Thelasko
March 9th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I'm running Hardy 64-bit. I've manually installed the 64-bit versions of Java and Flash, so I have even less of a reason to upgrade to 9.04. Hardy is just rock solid for me, I might just stick with it until the next LTS.

OpenOffice 3? What's wrong with 2.4? It works fine for me!

I don't use KDE, I don't have an Nvdia card. 8.7 seconds faster? Whoop-dee-doo! *rolls eyes* There's just no reason to switch.

ArtF10
March 9th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Relating to ext4......

....That is like booting in 20 sec people. and it should running 20% faster. And also for the one who use Nvdia, have you even hear of the 180... Driver? It is much better!!!! ....

Will ext4 be available through automatic partitioning....OR will you have to do a manual partition?

Assuming your card is supported. Not all cards are supported by the 180.XX driver

Oops, almost forgot, I am DEFINITELY upgrading to 9.04. My sound quality(through automatic detection) has been getting better and better with each release.

SuperSonic4
March 9th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I may upgrade but I am concerned about the kubuntu devs putting in Amarok 2 which is far inferior to amarok 1.4.10

Stan_1936
March 9th, 2009, 07:57 PM
.....booting in 20 sec people.............

That is mouthwatering!:P:P:P

I can hardly wait..........or contain myself, for that matter.

Kareeser
March 10th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I'm running Hardy 64-bit. I've manually installed the 64-bit versions of Java and Flash, so I have even less of a reason to upgrade to 9.04. Hardy is just rock solid for me, I might just stick with it until the next LTS.

OpenOffice 3? What's wrong with 2.4? It works fine for me!

I don't use KDE, I don't have an Nvdia card. 8.7 seconds faster? Whoop-dee-doo! *rolls eyes* There's just no reason to switch.

I don't really think that qualifies as a reason not to switch :)

Installing both flash and java in 64-bit took about a half an hour in total, including googling. Now that I know what to do, it'll take a matter of seconds. :)

Tux Aubrey
March 10th, 2009, 12:32 AM
So far, the Jaunty Alpha has been rock solid and very fast for me. But I have taken a sworn oath on a stack of Linux Bibles not to upgrade my main machine until two weeks after the release. And I'll do it from a fresh install as I didn't upgrade to 8.10 - Intrepid has been cursed for me. Every machine I have installed it on has had problems with the display or networking or sound (but never all three and never the same problem twice).

Thelasko
March 10th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I don't really think that qualifies as a reason not to switch :)

Installing both flash and java in 64-bit took about a half an hour in total, including googling. Now that I know what to do, it'll take a matter of seconds. :)

I mean, in the past, I would upgrade because things like Java and Flash work better. They work fine as it is, so I have no real motivation to change.

SunnyRabbiera
March 10th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Whats a sleeper?

A sleeper is a release that promises no new features, no real improvements and no good reason to switch.
Outside of ext4 Jaunty looks to be a dud.

ghindo
March 10th, 2009, 12:59 AM
A sleeper is a release that promises no new features, no real improvements and no good reason to switch.
Outside of ext4 Jaunty looks to be a dud. Faster boot times
OpenOffice.Org 3
ext4
Shiny new kernel!That, and I'm pretty sure that the bug that slowly wears down hard drives has finally been fixed.

Not every Ubuntu release needs to be ground-breaking.

ArtF10
March 10th, 2009, 01:26 AM
...I'm pretty sure that the bug that slowly wears down hard drives has finally been fixed.....

I think I heard about this bug 2 years ago. It will be great if has been fixed.

kevdog
March 10th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Most of the responders to this thread are seen here frequently and love to tinker with their systems. In this regard why wouldn't you upgrade. Its lame when discussions are had on the forums about new features but where you can not participate because you are running an older version of Ubuntu. Upgrade and be happy. It makes life more interesting.

Polygon
March 10th, 2009, 05:30 AM
plus the fact that everything gets updated, and performance tweaks under the hood, even if nothing significant changed, i would still upgrade for the newer versions of all the applications i use.

Skripka
March 10th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Observations from an Arch user running ext4:

GRUB needs patched to run it, not even the new GRUB2 can deal with it yet without patches (Arch already has patches applied to their GRUB packages)....and you also need a current enough kernel to run it.

That being said-ext4 is FAR faster at disk check operations...as in 10X or more faster here with 7200RPM SATAII drives....BUT-ext4 is MUCH more prone to data corruption from improper shut down than ext3 was (on same hardware)...also is more prone to fragmentation. All in all though it is much speedier.

Ext3 can be "upgraded" to ext4.

Also, theWindows Ext driver cannot read Ext4 at this time.

Reasons why I moved to a rolling release....no 6 month cycle of reinstalling ;)To each their own of course.

Kareeser
March 10th, 2009, 05:41 AM
There's a hidden appeal to so-called "sleeper" upgrades. They generally offer more stability, as there are no completely new (and bug-ridden) features, only upgrades and bug-fixed programs.

This is my reason for becoming excited for Jaunty :)

FuturePilot
March 10th, 2009, 05:43 AM

GRUB needs patched to run it, not even the new GRUB2 can deal with it yet without patches (Arch already has patches applied to their GRUB packages)....and you also need a current enough kernel to run it.

Grub in Ubuntu has been patched for Ext4. Ext4 is bootable in Jaunty. Grub2 has had support for Ext4 for a while.

Polygon
March 10th, 2009, 05:43 AM

That being said-ext4 is FAR faster at disk check operations...as in 10X or more faster here with 7200RPM SATAII drives....BUT-ext4 is MUCH more prone to data corruption from improper shut down than ext3 was (on same hardware)...also is more prone to fragmentation. All in all though it is much speedier.

Ext3 can be "upgraded" to ext4.

if ubuntu is planning on including support for grub, im sure they will ship the patched version

also, ext4 is still pretty new, even though its been in heavy testing. I think the prone to data corruption is just the fact that it hasnt been battle tested like ext3 has for many many many years, and they still have a few small kinks to work out

Skripka
March 10th, 2009, 05:48 AM
if ubuntu is planning on including support for grub, im sure they will ship the patched version

also, ext4 is still pretty new, even though its been in heavy testing. I think the prone to data corruption is just the fact that it hasnt been battle tested like ext3 has for many many many years, and they still have a few small kinks to work out

Fair enuff. It is slick and speedy-though there are abnormalities-even for goodies that aren't battle tested.

Anyone ever create a partition by CD installer-and on 1st boot of your system get a warning of 50%+ fragmenation? Yea. ;)

Twitch6000
March 10th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Fair enuff. It is slick and speedy-though there are abnormalities-even for goodies that aren't battle tested.

Anyone ever create a partition by CD installer-and on 1st boot of your system get a warning of 50%+ fragmenation? Yea. ;)

Just another reason why Linux needs a defragger :).

Anyways @op I see jaunty being worth upgrading to.

The alpha is pretty stable already...

Polygon
March 11th, 2009, 12:15 AM
ext does a lot better job of placing files then ntfs, im sure the 50% fragmentation he is talking about is just a bug. And there are linux defraggers out there, but its not like you are REQUIRED to use them like you are in windows.

mamamia88
March 11th, 2009, 01:25 AM

really that does sound like a pain in the *** maybe ill just stick with ext 3 then i can live with a 9 second slower boot i maybe reboot once a month. i did a clean install of intrepid the other day. before i did so i created 3 partitions one for root, one for home and another for swap. when i install jaunty do i just do a manual partition and format the root partition and dedicate my old home partition as the new home partition?

FuturePilot
March 11th, 2009, 01:31 AM
really that does sound like a pain in the *** maybe ill just stick with ext 3 then i can live with a 9 second slower boot i maybe reboot once a month. i did a clean install of intrepid the other day. before i did so i created 3 partitions one for root, one for home and another for swap. when i install jaunty do i just do a manual partition and format the root partition and dedicate my old home partition as the new home partition?

Like I said above, Grub was patched and Ext4 is bootable in Jaunty