PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question: is there any difference in the kernels Ubuntu <-> Debian

rbrauns
March 9th, 2009, 02:00 AM
As a noob, I've used Ubuntu about a week now. I've set my PC up to just where I like it but I am getting tired of the daily kernel panics. I've read the forums and Debian and Slackware are the most stable so I want to try Debian.

Debian uses the 2.6.26 kernel while Ubuntu is now at 2.6.28. So my question is there any difference if I used Ubuntu with the older kernel or Debian with the newer one?

steveneddy
March 9th, 2009, 02:07 AM
As a noob, I've used Ubuntu about a week now. I've set my PC up to just where I like it but I am getting tired of the daily kernel panics. I've read the forums and Debian and Slackware are the most stable so I want to try Debian.

Debian uses the 2.6.26 kernel while Ubuntu is now at 2.6.28. So my question is there any difference if I used Ubuntu with the older kernel or Debian with the newer one?

Yes - why don't you use the Ubuntu LTS, Hardy?

MaxIBoy
March 9th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Debian doesn't get updated as often, in the interests of maintaining stability.

Newer kernels support more hardware, and sometimes they have performance improvements, new features, new compile flags, etc.