PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] screwed up creating home partition

mamamia88
March 9th, 2009, 01:31 AM
i tried to create a home partition using this guide http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome but no matter what i do i can't get past the login screen is there anything i can do please help i don't want to have to reinstall if at all possible

Kareeser
March 9th, 2009, 01:32 AM
We need error messages to begin diagnosing your problem...

mamamia88
March 9th, 2009, 01:38 AM
fair enough be right back

mamamia88
March 9th, 2009, 01:44 AM
yes it said user mamamia88 home folder is set as _ which appears doesn't exist.

jimi_hendrix
March 9th, 2009, 01:49 AM
try a reinstall?

what version are you running

mamamia88
March 9th, 2009, 01:57 AM
8.10 don't really feel like reinstalling maybe ill test out another distro till 9.04

itlarson
March 9th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Are you getting the command prompt? If so, you should be able to change the home directory from there. The command "usermod -d home_dir" (where home_dir is the name of the home directory you want) should set your home directory. First you should make sure the directory exists, though. If you are getting a loggin prompt instead of a command prompt, that's another can of worms, unless you have another user.

jimi_hendrix
March 9th, 2009, 02:43 AM
8.10 don't really feel like reinstalling maybe ill test out another distro till 9.04

try 8.04

presence1960
March 9th, 2009, 03:05 AM
i tried to create a home partition using this guide http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome but no matter what i do i can't get past the login screen is there anything i can do please help i don't want to have to reinstall if at all possible

Did you read the disclaimer? I believe I had a similar problem using that how to. I wound up doing a clean install creating a separate /home partition. I had /home backed up to an external USB HDD so I lost no data.

itlarson
March 9th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I would boot from a live cd and try mount the drive partitions to see if the data is still there.