PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Headphone jack breaks on kernel upgrade

minj
March 9th, 2009, 12:01 AM
So I was using my Hardy Heron quite flawlessly for some time and one day I see a kernel upgrade available. Being trustworthy of ubuntu and canonical and using LTS version I did everything as usual: download, install, reboot, go on....

STOP RIGHT THERE

2.6.24-22-generic was upgraded to 2.6.24-23-generic I think and my headphone jack just stopped working! Btw spare me with the comments about volume control and bad headphones. I changed nothing and my headphones were fine, tested 2 different ones btw.

Anyway I was a bit mad but thought 'whatever these things happen'. So I downgraded to 2.6.24-22-generic and locked the version. Guess what I had been enjoying my headphone jack for a few months after that.

Now I started to feel behind the times a bit you know and decided to test intrepid today with its 2.6.27-11-generic kernel.... And guess what?!

The sound does not work again! Now this is seriously messed up. You would think they noticed it while going 3 subversions up but NO....

So, any bright ideas what should I do now?

Neo_The_User
March 9th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Well you can always compile your own kernel and fix it yourself but first file a bug.

minj
March 9th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Bugzilla turned up empty but here is what I have found on the launchpad:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/201957

Apparently headphones are controlled by the 'surround' channel o.0

sgosnell
March 9th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Open the ALSA mixer and make sure the headphone checkbox on the Switches tab is ticked.

Neo_The_User
March 9th, 2009, 02:38 AM
ALSA mixer can be launched from the terminal by doing

sudo alsamixer