PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how can i remove my ubuntu partition?

JZeFF
March 8th, 2009, 11:54 PM
On my laptop (Toshiba satellite l305d) I decided to try installing ubuntu. It installed fine, its just not what i need for school right now. How can i get the partition back to Vista?

I do not have a recovery disk (dont think it came with one when purchased new?).. and i obviously dont want to delete everything i have on here..

So what do i do?

Neo_The_User
March 8th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Open up a terminal

Option 1

sudo fdisk /dev/sda
l

Now press d and enter, then press the number after sda the partition that ubuntu is stored on.

OR

Option2

sudo cfdisk

And delete the ubuntu partition (ext3 probably marked as linux) and then press write and type yes.

OR

Option3

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get install gparted && gksudo gparted

PLEASE NOTE THAT THAT WILL DELETE ALL DATA ON THE UBUNTU PARTITION AND IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL, YOU CAN END UP DELETING THE WRONG PARTITION AND... YEAH.

Mark Phelps
March 9th, 2009, 12:14 AM
On my laptop (Toshiba satellite l305d) I decided to try installing ubuntu. It installed fine, its just not what i need for school right now. How can i get the partition back to Vista?

I do not have a recovery disk (dont think it came with one when purchased new?).. and i obviously dont want to delete everything i have on here..

So what do i do?

Before you do ANYTHING ... did you install dual-boot, or did you install inside Vista (using Wubi)? If the latter, you can remove Ubuntu just like any other Windows app.