PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Light weight window managers with right click menus on desktop?

67GTA
March 8th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I am trying to find a Ubuntu based distro for an older PC with 128MB ram for an older lady. She does not want to buy a new PC, and her windows 2000 install, as I tried to explain, is a sitting target for everyday use. The newest AVG has dropped support for her PC. I suggested trying Ubuntu with a lightweight WM. I am afraid that most of them will confuse her because they don't have the right click menu on the desktop, and take a little getting used to as far as feature parity. So far LXDE seems to be the only one to come close. I will either install a Ubuntu base system and install LXDE via CLI, or try a distro such as PUD. Anyone have any other WM suggestions?

GrfyGrumpyBear
March 9th, 2009, 12:09 AM
IceWM?

linuxisevolution
March 9th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Icewm or Ubuntulite would be nice.

kerry_s
March 9th, 2009, 12:37 AM
i use jwm on 700mhz 128mb ram, it's super light and can be made to look like what ever you want. i have mine dressed up like gnome.

i'm on my other laptop now 450mhz 256mb ram, i have smoothing turned off and i'm running at 800x600@16, so it's not a great pic, i was watching dvd movies. :D

67GTA
March 9th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I had forgotten about Icewm, and Jwm. I'll try them out to see how they compare. Thanks for the suggestions.

snowpine
March 9th, 2009, 01:07 AM
I like Crunchbang personally. It is Ubuntu + Openbox.