PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install issues

deltazulu1
March 8th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I'm new to Ubuntu and really look forward to seeing Microsoft in my rear view mirror. I have horror stories but won't bore you with them

I've created my CD and verified it's integrity. I booted from my CD and chose to run Ubuntu without a change to my system. The Ubuntu status bar completed and a brown screen appeared. The mouse cursor was there, once as a round cursor then swithed to an arrow cursor. The brown screen changed to a black screen, the mouse cursor remained. My mouse seemed to be active as it moved the cursor with no problem.

The black screen remained and for good, the mouse continued to appear active. I did notice that the keyboard didn't seem to be active as the caps lock and num lock keys did not light up the l.e.d's.

Any help would be appreciated.

DZ

Neo_The_User
March 8th, 2009, 10:00 PM
could you re-word the exact problem? I can't make out what you're saying. HAL detects your hardware just fine apparently. What's with the black screen?

deltazulu1
March 8th, 2009, 10:04 PM
It seems the black screen appears where the OS should actually appear. It just sits there and does nothing with an active mouse cursor.

Neo_The_User
March 8th, 2009, 10:11 PM
What GPU? If the answer is nVIDIA, I can't help you, sorry. Does your keyboard work at all when its starting up or is it shot the whole time?

deltazulu1
March 8th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Intel 82845G

Keyboard works fine when loading windows and up until the black screen appears.

bubwitmaingay
March 9th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Sometimes, it will be your CD-ROM that has the problem or the CD itself. I know you have checked the integrity of the CD and it says it's fine but sometimes it is not. Try to remove your CD, clean the CD or check if your CD-ROM is okay.

Are you running on LiveCD? 8)